Thread: African Bullfrog ?

Exclamation African Bullfrog ?

I am new here and I apologize if there's already a thread for this question. If there is please direct me into the right direction.

I live in Delaware (USA) and purchased 3 African bullfrog tadpoles. These tadpoles identify as African's up and down, there's no doubt about that (as far as I can tell) However, the one below morphed about 4 weeks ago, and now I'm starting to think it's not an African Bullfrog, but possibly a marsh frog? To me, the snout is far too pointed? I've been searching for newly morphed African's and have not been able to find any pictures to compare.

(these pictures were taken with the flash on)

thank you

Name:  1.JPG
Views: 630
Size:  1.74 MB Name:  2.JPG
Views: 563
Size:  1.54 MB Name:  3.JPG
Views: 570
Size:  1.90 MB

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: African Bullfrog ?

Honestly, I don't know what kind of frog that is, but it doesn't look like an African Bullfrog. Can you take some pictures of the tadpoles?
    1 Male Giant African Bullfrog
    2 Woodhouse's Toads
    11 Pacific Treefrogs
    1 Dubia Roach Colony
    2 Australian Green Treefrogs

Quote Originally Posted by daybr4ke View Post
    Honestly, I don't know what kind of frog that is, but it doesn't look like an African Bullfrog. Can you take some pictures of the tadpoles?
    The first picture is one of the other 1 of 2 tadpoles. The second picture is the frog above still morphing (its a crappy picture but it's all I got.

Now, this morphed frog looked like the picture of the tadpole, but he was larger and darker with the same spots.

Name:  5.JPG
Views: 542
Size:  2.07 MB Name:  6.PNG
Views: 748
Size:  989.4 KB

Nationality
    [United States]

I did some some looking for a good photo.
    https://static.inaturalist.org/photo...jpg?1444770481
    This is what a newly morphed/almost fully morphed African Bullfrog looks like. A pretty far cry from your frogs, I'm afraid.
    They look like some typical American frog, I think. I don't know which one. Might even be American Bullfrogs.
    2 Woodhouse's Toads
    11 Pacific Treefrogs
    1 Dubia Roach Colony

I did some some looking for a good photo.
    https://static.inaturalist.org/photo...jpg?1444770481
    This is what a newly morphed/almost fully morphed African Bullfrog looks like. A pretty far cry from your frogs, I'm afraid.
    They look like some typical American frog, I think. I don't know which one. Might even be American Bullfrogs.
    That's more like it lol

The hunt continues for african tadpoles

Nationality
    [United States]

Personally I would recommend just getting a newly-morphed baby. They are far more readily available, and in my opinion it is easier to care for a baby than a tadpole. I would also recommend just starting with one. These frogs eat a lot, so much that many people choose to have feeder colonies to keep up with the prodigious appetites of a single frog(often to feed other types of frogs too, but the bullfrog really makes it necessary.). I myself have a roach colony to feed my frog. His last feeding(for reference he is a 5 inch male.) ate 40 adult crickets, a small pinkie mouse, and 2 nightcrawler worms. In addition they can't share a tank, except possibly mating pairs, and many people prefer to keep them apart outside of mating attempts. These frogs can fight and kill eachother. If one baby outgrows another it might try to eat the smaller one. They're very voracious frogs. Babies are easily found at Reptile shows and often exotic pet/reptile stores. They usually cost 35-50$ in my experience. These frogs are also quite the commitment, since they can live as long as 20 to 40 years. Whatever you end up choosing to get, good luck!
    Also, I'm curious, what are you planning to do with the frogs/tadpoles you have now? Someone may come on later who can positively ID them.
    Edit: I meant to include baby African Bullfrogs can often be found online on sites like LLLReptiles. They are usually listed as "CB African Bullfrog(or Pixie Frog, Giant African Bullfrogs, etc.)"
    2 Woodhouse's Toads
    11 Pacific Treefrogs
    1 Dubia Roach Colony

Personally I would recommend just getting a newly-morphed baby. They are far more readily available, and in my opinion it is easier to care for a baby than a tadpole. I would also recommend just starting with one. These frogs eat a lot, so much that many people choose to have feeder colonies to keep up with the prodigious appetites of a single frog(often to feed other types of frogs too, but the bullfrog really makes it necessary.). I myself have a roach colony to feed my frog. His last feeding(for reference he is a 5 inch male.) ate 40 adult crickets, a small pinkie mouse, and 2 nightcrawler worms. In addition they can't share a tank, except possibly mating pairs, and many people prefer to keep them apart outside of mating attempts. These frogs can fight and kill eachother. If one baby outgrows another it might try to eat the smaller one. They're very voracious frogs. Babies are easily found at Reptile shows and often exotic pet/reptile stores. They usually cost 35-50$ in my experience. These frogs are also quite the commitment, since they can live as long as 20 to 40 years. Whatever you end up choosing to get, good luck!
    Also, I'm curious, what are you planning to do with the frogs/tadpoles you have now? Someone may come on later who can positively ID them.
    I def. want to find a newly-morphed African. As for the commitment, I am not worried about that. I used to breed tarantulas, had 100+ through 2013-2016 and yes it was a lot of work, but not too hard. I then eventually started selling them all off as it became to intense when the eggs started hatching 50-100+ slings (kept a few exotic species, mostly females that can live for 25+ years) However, they are much easier to care for than frogs. But one African won't be a problem.

I am not sure what I will do with these three. I live near many large creeks/ponds that are highly populated with frogs but I would rather get a confirmed identity on them first.

9. This member thanks froggy101 for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]

That's cool! I've been thinking about getting a tarantula or a mantid eventually. You're right, one African Bullfrog isn't too big a dea, I just felt I should say something you since you bought three tadpoles initially. Speaking of them, I'm glad you're going to get a confirmed ID before deciding what to do with the frogs.

In any case, I really like my own ABF and would recommend them wholeheartedly. They're cool frogs, if a little inactive.
    2 Woodhouse's Toads
    11 Pacific Treefrogs
    1 Dubia Roach Colony

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

your frog is definitely not a GABF. but it is a Very Cool Frog though! (:

Nationality
    [United States]

[QUOTE=froggy101;277585]I am new here and I apologize if there's already a thread for this question. If there is please direct me into the right direction.

I live in Delaware (USA) and purchased 3 African bullfrog tadpoles. These tadpoles identify as African's up and down, there's no doubt about that (as far as I can tell) However, the one below morphed about 4 weeks ago, and now I'm starting to think it's not an African Bullfrog, but possibly a marsh frog? To me, the snout is far too pointed? I've been searching for newly morphed African's and have not been able to find any pictures to compare.

(these pictures were taken with the flash on)

thank you

Name:  1.JPG
Views: 630
Size:  1.74 MB Name:  2.JPG
Views: 563
Size:  1.54 MB Name:  3.JPG
Views: 570
Size:  1.90 MB

Nationality
    [United States]

Looks like some kind of bullfrog. I don’t think it’s of the African verity tho

Nationality
    [Canada]

To me they look like leopard frogs, or thats what they used to call them here! Small, used to catch them all the time but its def not an ABF

Nationality
    [United States]

Thats an awesome frog! Not a baby African bullfrog though. Those look like baby Goliath frogs which happens to be the biggest frog in the world. Like the African bullfrog they are also from Africa. That little baby frog will soon be over a foot long.

Thread Information