Thread: Hi. Western toads anyone?

Bow

Default Hi. Western toads anyone?

I am mainly interested in western toads and I have found the lack of posts by people who actually keep them sort of discouraging. My first western toad was crippled, he only had 3 legs and could only hop in circles. I found him while I was biking around a lake that is close to my home. He lived a number of years but never did very well, Progie (the toad) only made it to 4 years old and never got to be bigger then a couple centimeters.
    Recently I was Kyacking at the same lake and saw a bunch of Bull frogs (introduced and doing a lot of harm to native species) behaving very strangly, when I got closer i saw they were eating baby toadlets, Needless to say I rescued several..... 12 actually and brought them home to live in my garden, I kept them in a tank until their tails were gone and they ate more then I could find to feed them. I was going to keep one green one but when I was letting them going in the garden ( We have a big garden and a pond and I made sure that there were a lot of toad houses) But one of the babies had milky white eyes and is very very blind so I ended up keeping 2 I could never kill the little thing or put it out of its misery. They are both doing very well on a diet of the tiniest wood bugs I can find and some worm things that seem to live in pea pods. I use calcium dust on most of their food; Is there anything else they can eat? My pet store doesn't carry pin head crickets or fruit flies.
    P.S. Their already bigger then Progie ever was

SethD

Default Re: Hi. Western toads anyone?

But one of the babies had milky white eyes and is very very blind so I ended up keeping 2 I could never kill the little thing or put it out of its misery. They are both doing very well on a diet of the tiniest wood bugs I can find and some worm things that seem to live in pea pods.
    Do you have any pic's of the one that "had milky white eyes" and are you sure it is blind? I would be very surprised to find a blind toadlet that would eat since they are sight hunters. Now if only one eye is effected that would explain it. As far as care your on the right track. The good news is if you can keep them well supplied with tiny bugs you catch for a while they will grow big enough to eat larger things pretty quickly. For just one or two toads like you have something like the zoo med bug napper is good for collecting food in the summer months. You can also make something similar on your own and save yourself the purchase price.

Bow

Default Re: Hi. Western toads anyone?

One eye is completely white and the other is just cloudy, I think it can see out of the just cloudy eye a bit. I also read somewhere that they can sense chemical signals given off by other toads if they've found something to eat or are being attacked by some sort of predator. It always seems to come out of its hide when the other toad get something to eat. She/he is not skinny but I make sure it gets as much food as the other one because I worry it might not be as good at seeking stuff out. I'll try to get a picture of them up as soon as I can

Thread Information