Thread: Frog help

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Frog help

Uhm. . Hi Im a little new here. . . I came to ask a few questions. . You see I got a new little Gray Treefrog(his name is Birch), and Im not really sure what to feed him, can I feed him crickets? I hope so. . I also need to know if it would be ok to put him in the cage with my Bullfrog(his name is Froggit), its a fairly large cage and Froggit doesnt really climb any of the branches, and I dont think Birch would go on the ground very often, so would it be ok? Or do I have to buy another tank for Birch?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Frog help

As long as you get appropriately sized crickets( depending on the size of the frog you may need "pinhead" crickets, which are just newly/recently hatched crickets.) your new treefrog should be fine eating crickets as long as you dust them with calcium and a multivitamin regularly, or gut load the crickets. Personally I've taken to using flightless fruit flies, which are also an option. A good rule of thumb is to give your frog food no larger than the space between it's eyes. As for getting a new tank for the grey Treefrogs, I would say that is extremely important. Even a large Treefrogs will eat a small treefrog. A bullfrog will definitely eat your treefrog, and treefrogs often end up on the ground eventually, especially when hunting. In addition Bullfrogs are great jumpers(assuming it is an American Bullfrog.), and could probably jump up to eat the treefrog as well. I'd highly recommend picking up a new tank for your new treefrog.
    1 Male Giant African Bullfrog
    2 Woodhouse's Toads
    11 Pacific Treefrogs
    1 Dubia Roach Colony
    2 Australian Green Treefrogs

4. This member thanks daybr4ke for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: Frog help

Quote Originally Posted by daybr4ke View Post
    As long as you get appropriately sized crickets( depending on the size of the frog you may need "pinhead" crickets, which are just newly/recently hatched crickets.) your new treefrog should be fine eating crickets as long as you dust them with calcium and a multivitamin regularly, or gut load the crickets. Personally I've taken to using flightless fruit flies, which are also an option. A good rule of thumb is to give your frog food no larger than the space between it's eyes. As for getting a new tank for the grey Treefrogs, I would say that is extremely important. Even a large Treefrogs will eat a small treefrog. A bullfrog will definitely eat your treefrog, and treefrogs often end up on the ground eventually, especially when hunting. In addition Bullfrogs are great jumpers(assuming it is an American Bullfrog.), and could probably jump up to eat the treefrog as well. I'd highly recommend picking up a new tank for your new treefrog.
    Thank you. . Ill go get a different tank for him, I appreciate the response :)

Thread Information