Thread: Going on Vacation - what to do with American Green Tree Frog?

Default Going on Vacation - what to do with American Green Tree Frog?

Hi,

We leave Friday and return on Wednesday. I have someone lined up for Monday and Tuesday, but not Saturday and Sunday. I think if I feed the frog 4 crickets on Friday afternoon before we leave, she should be OK until Monday for food. She doesn't really show restraint around food so I don't want to leave more than 4 in there because I know she will just eat everything in one day and that doesn't seem too healthy either.

I'm more concerned about not being misted or having water changed until Monday morning.

I'll try to find someone in our building - but if I can't, do you think the frog should be OK for two days?

thanks

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Going on Vacation - what to do with American Green Tree Frog?

Hi! I think I can help a bit. One thing to keep in mind is heat. If it gets too hot running out of water increases in likelyhood. You frog will likely be fine for a couple days as long as the caretaker you have lined up makes sure to get the water dish nice and full. Also leave instructions to make sure to remove all substrate(coco fiber or dirt, doesn't matter.) that the frogs have tracked in. A bottom layer of substrate in the dish will absorb water and make it run out faster. Another thing is how late you will arrive Wednesday. Early and they've been alone 2 days. If you're coming home in the evening it's effectively 3 days. I've left my Pacific Treefrogs alone for a couple days before, and they're still here and just fine. I've done this twice, maybe three times. Each time upon my return the dish is almost empty or fully empty and they were sitting in it trying to soak up the last of the moisture. My own home, however has no temperature regulation, and is typically the same temp as it is outside. If you can make sure its not too hot in your house, they'll probably do even better. I hope this sets your mind at ease a bit. Good luck finding someone!
    1 Male Giant African Bullfrog
    2 Woodhouse's Toads
    11 Pacific Treefrogs
    1 Dubia Roach Colony
    2 Australian Green Treefrogs

Thread Information