Thread: Pacman tadpoles

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Pacman tadpoles

Getting some Pacman tadpoles, just wondering how everyone raises them. Planning on keeping them in individual delis until they're big enough for 6 qt tubs. After they morph, can they start eating insects rather than bloodworms? Use spring/filtered water or just treat tap with water conditioner? Thanks for any tips [emoji4]

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Pacman tadpoles

Hi! I'm fairly certain once they metamorphosis and fully lose the tail they can start eating appropriately sized insects. Also, when using the deli cup method make sure to clean them out regularly, as with so little room the water gets fouled very quick.
    1 Male Giant African Bullfrog
    2 Woodhouse's Toads
    11 Pacific Treefrogs
    1 Dubia Roach Colony
    2 Australian Green Treefrogs

Nationality
    [Canada]

If your starting with the deli cups you will need to change the water daily.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

jeez. i see a bacterial film sometimes in just four hours with my frog. filthy little Doug the frog.

Okay, maybe I will just keep them in a tub until they morph then. I'm not usually home on weekends, and I don't want anything to happen to them.

Nationality
    [United States]

If you plan to keep them in a tub you will NEED fake or real plants for hiding places and you will need to keep them VERY well fed...these tadpoles will kill and eat eachother if housed together otherwise, and even with lots of food and hiding places you might want to expect at least a few loses. These aren't very friendly frogs, unfortunately.

Edit: I forgot to answer the water question: In general tap water treated with a dechlorinator and ammonia remover is recommended, in part because it contains minerals the frog needs. I think spring water does too, but I'm not sure. It's also a lot cheaper than going out and buying bottled water, especially with water changes being required daily. Definitely don't use distilled water however, as it has no minerals and can leech minerals from the frog. I hope this helps. Sorry this post is so long now.
    2 Woodhouse's Toads
    11 Pacific Treefrogs
    1 Dubia Roach Colony

7. This member thanks daybr4ke for this post:

Just got them today. Here is their setup. 20qt tub, about a gallon of water. Makes about 2 inches of water for them to swim in. I gave them some frozen bloodworms, most of them ate. Ordered a small air pump with air stone that will be here tomorrow.

All my tadpoles died not sure what I did wrong. Changed water every day/every other day (used tap water with dechlorinator), fed frozen bloodworms and tadpole pellets

Nationality
    [United States]

I'm really sorry to hear that, that's terrible! Did they all die at once?
    2 Woodhouse's Toads
    11 Pacific Treefrogs
    1 Dubia Roach Colony

Nationality
    [Canada]

Hey, sorry to hear it didn't turn out for you. Were did you purchase the tadpoles from? Your first post was only a week ago so they may have already had something wrong with them and it may have been nothing you did. If they were eating the only thing I can think of really is the water quality was off, meaning maybe the alkaline was to low or to high or the ph wasn't good enough. If these things aren't perfect it can lead to red leg in the tadpoles or it can cause gas bubble disease. Not saying this is the case just something to throw out there to think about. I suggest if you choose to try again pick up a book called the chacoan horned frog by Phillippe de Vosjoli and Robert Mailloux, Phillippe de Vosjoli is a pioneer in herpetology and Robert Mailloux is one of the best frog breeders there is. It covers rearing tadpoles in very good detail. I believe if your going to have pacman frogs this book is almost a must. Again sorry to hear it didn't work out, don't let it discourage you from trying again. Tons of people go through the same thing multiple times before having success.

12. 2 members thank monster for this post:

They died off one or two at a time. I had 21 but a couple didn't look good when I received them from FedEx. They were from mike matson. I don't think I'll be doing this again. But thanks for the advice

Nationality
    [Canada]

Hey, I know some people have nothing but positive things to say about him and others not so much. If you search his name on the forum or on fauna there are some people that have received frogs from him that say they were sick from the day they got them. And again others have received very healthy frogs. 2 of my four the guy from the shop got from him and they are big and healthy, and the other 2 are from the frog ranch. My guess is that it wasn't anything you did and they were probably sick from the get go.

Nationality
    [United States]

I am looking for pacman tadpoles. Can someone let me know where to go? Please email me. Joezupan@optimum.net

thanks

Thread Information