Thread: How fat is too fat?

Default How fat is too fat?

The Pacman I have is pretty big.

He barely fits in my hand and, when he's sitting there, his sides extend past the sides of my palm.

I know Pacmans are supposed to be pretty round, chubby frogs, but I also know they can become obese and I'd like to try to avoid that as it's not necessarily healthy for them; just to note, he was this size when I got him.

He's eaten a few times (a couple dubia roaches, some nightcrawlers, and a few hornworms) but never seems especially hungry.

Pics attached.

Name:  frog1.png
Views: 454
Size:  655.7 KB

Wood hide mainly for scale; I don't keep it in there anymore as those things are prone to molding.
    Name:  frog2.png
Views: 450
Size:  574.0 KB

Pics in his original home, which I now use to put him in when I need him out of his tank for cleaning.
    Name:  frog3.png
Views: 443
Size:  486.8 KB
    Name:  frog4.png
Views: 449
Size:  525.3 KB

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: How fat is too fat?

Hi! I think your frog looks fine, as these frogs are pretty hefty. In general, the rule of thumb is that they should be about as wide as they are long. Again, he looks fine to me, but a picture from directly above would make it easier to see and compare the exact dimensions of your frog.
    1 Male Giant African Bullfrog
    2 Woodhouse's Toads
    11 Pacific Treefrogs
    1 Dubia Roach Colony
    2 Australian Green Treefrogs

Quote Originally Posted by daybr4ke View Post
    Hi! I think your frog looks fine, as these frogs are pretty hefty. In general, the rule of thumb is that they should be about as wide as they are long. Again, he looks fine to me, but a picture from directly above would make it easier to see and compare the exact dimensions of your frog.
    He does seem to be about as wide as he is long, so that's encouraging. I've not had one of these frogs before so, still working on learning appropriate size.
    He's probably--around the size of a baseball if I had to compare him to some other object.

The last pic in the post is fairly top down, but here's another one with one of my containers of dusting stuff laying next to him for some scale. I should have thought to weigh him last night when I replaced the coco chips with fiber but it slipped my mind.
    He's not fully buried right now (his head and part of his back are above the substrate) so I could take him out and weigh him this evening.

Name:  fatfrog.png
Views: 436
Size:  675.1 KB

Nationality
    [United States]

Honestly, unless you want to weigh him/her because you're curious I don't think there's any need. You have a beautiful, healthy looking frog.
    I am a little curious about his eating though. How much has he eaten in what period of time?
    2 Woodhouse's Toads
    11 Pacific Treefrogs
    1 Dubia Roach Colony

I've had him about 2 weeks and he's eaten (in that time):

3 big hornworms, 2 dusted dubia roaches, and 1 nightcrawler. His last owner told me she'd just dump in about 24 crickets two or three times per week and let him snack until they were gone but, honestly, I hate keeping crickets and prefer the dubias as we already have a colony for the tarantulas, and hornworms (and nightcrawlers).

I'm still trying to figure out how much and how often to feed him. Guides are kind of vague and most I've found are tailored to growing, baby frogs not adults.

Nationality
    [Canada]

He seems to look ok to me. Do you use that reptisafe in all his water? And has he pooped for you at all since you got him?

8. This member thanks monster for this post:

Yeah, I have other reptiles (snakes and a gecko) as well, so we already had that.

I haven't seen any poop but, to be fair, he may have pooped in his old substrate and I didn't notice it before I changed it out (half turned out to be coco chips and not fiber). I do know he goes into his water bowl as there's coco fiber in it every morning, but he hasn't pooped in it yet.

Nationality
    [United States]

Poop! I knew I forgot something important! Thanks monster. The thing about poo is it can be a little hard to find. Sometimes my larger frogs trample their poo into the coco fiber at the bottom of the water dish(my toads in particular are guilty of this.), and a moist turd left on the coco fiber can get fiber on it and become hard to see. Many Pacman Frogs prefer leaving pops in the water dish, but it still pays to look around a bit.
    2 Woodhouse's Toads
    11 Pacific Treefrogs
    1 Dubia Roach Colony

Knowing my luck, he poops where he's buried and I'll never see it unless I bother him by shooing him out of his burrow to look.

I'd honestly prefer it if he'd use his water dish as a toilet but this did remind me that he pooped and peed a TON in the round container I put him in when I changed the bedding out for all coco fiber.

Found him sitting in a huge lake of pee with some poop in it as well.

Glad he did it in there and not when I was holding him and moving him back into his tank.

Nationality
    [Canada]

The reason I was asking was because in that first set of pictures the second last one he doesn't look fat but a little puffed up. This could be because he is full of poop or being toxed out, or he is just puffing up because you touched him and he is in defense mode trying to make himself look bigger. The toxing is usually caused from sitting in water with clorine or from sitting in dirty substrate ( subsrate with lots of pee). But that shouldn't be the case if you changed his substrate and he was only in the other for a little while and you use the reptisafe. For the poop if you notice he changes holes check the one he left, sometimes they poop in there burrow and then change spots. All in all I think you should be good and it may just be angle of the picture. And if he hasn't pooped give him a warm bath in some water and honey and this sometimes gets things moving. Let him sit there for 20 mins or so and then give him another bath with just water to wash the honey off and this usually does the trick. I'm editing because you posted before me, good that he pooped.

I think in some of the pics he was puffing himself up on purpose as he got...significantly "fatter" when I picked him up, kind of like a balloon. The second time I picked him up to put him back in the tank, I heard what sounded like a deep breath and he got puffed up again. He kind of seemed to deflate a little after being put back into his tank and not touched for a few minutes. I do try not touch or handle him if I don't absolutely have to as I've read it's generally stressful for frogs to be handled and he very obviously does not like it (tries to get away, puffs up, struggles, so far he hasn't tried to bite though).

It's neat to see him come out and, save for the first week, he doesn't seem to bury himself completely so I can usually see his head and part of his back so that's always nice. Currently he's made his burrow on the side with the UTH. I figure having a warm side has to be nice as, in his tiny critter keeper prior, he didn't have anything like that.

Thread Information