Thread: A hello + pictures of a fat Pac Man!

Talking A hello + pictures of a fat Pac Man!

In terms of frogs, I just have a rather large Pac Man frog that I got off of Craigslist for $20. I've wanted one for awhile, but was looking for an adult as adults tend to sometimes be a little less 'fragile' than younger animals.

I moved him from a small, round critter keeper type enclosure into a 10 gallon tank with more than enough substrate to burrow in. For the first week, he stayed totally covered but now sits with his face peeking out. I know he comes out now and again as I've seen it once, and he leaves...evidence...in the water bowl.

I have yet to see him eat, but I know he eats as food disappears. He gets dubia roaches, hornworms, superworms, nightcrawlers, and sometimes crickets (not often, as I hate having those stinky things in the house), but mostly roaches.
    I think he's male as he's made some croaking noises before and seems to have that 'pad' on one of his toes.

I can't tell if he's a bit overweight or not, but his last owner said they basically fed him 12-24 crickets every single day. That seems slightly excessive, and I know these frogs will eat pretty much anything that comes within range. He still gets fed daily, but doesn't get fed quite so much food.

He's been named Squish as he's fat and squishy looking.

Aside from that, I've got a leopard gecko, 3 ball pythons, 1 9ft common boa, a corn snake, a rat snake, a quaker parrot, a cockatiel, two dogs, three cats, a T. plumipes tarantula, a (sadly male) L. parahybana, a female betta and, in a separate tank, a male betta. Also have a male betta in a 5 gallon tank at work.

Just for fun, I've attached of Squish.

Name:  2L8W5sB.jpg
Views: 160
Size:  505.9 KB
    Name:  R0Cdluc.jpg
Views: 123
Size:  924.9 KB
    Name:  2lJncSu.png
Views: 98
Size:  1.13 MB
    Name:  Lkc6CbR.jpg
Views: 146
Size:  575.7 KB

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: A hello + pictures of a fat Pac Man!

Hi, welcome to the forum! I think your frog looks great, they generally look pretty chubby, even compared to many other species of frogs. He looks to be in fine shape for a pacman frog to me. They spend much of their time burrowed, so its behavior is pretty normal. Even for a male, looking at him next to that adult dubia I don't think he's quite an adult yet, I think he still has a little growing to do. Eating daily or every other day(or a combination thereof) is pretty common for growing frogs, so I think that's fine for now. Congrats on the new frog! Also, those snakes of yours sound cool.
    1 Male Giant African Bullfrog
    2 Woodhouse's Toads
    11 Pacific Treefrogs
    1 Dubia Roach Colony
    2 Australian Green Treefrogs

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Hello and welcome to frog forum!!

Daybr4ke is right, your frog still has some growing to do!
    Stay away from superworms, they're hard to digest.

I think your pacman is a fantasy?? (cross between Ceratophrys Cranwelli and Ceratophrys Cornuta) someone correct me if I'm wrong

Also your frog is not overweight. A good way to tell is that he should be just as wide as he is long

anyways welcome to the forum (also you should post some pics of your boa )

Litoria
    caerulea 1.1.0 (White's Tree Frog)
    Lampropeltis triangulum hondurensis ​0.1.0 (Anerythristic Honduran Milk Snake) Tliltocatl albopilosus 0.0.2 (Curly Hair Tarantula)
    Aphonopelma hentzi 0.0.1 (Texas Brown Tarantula)
    Avicularia avicularia 0.0.2 (Pinktoe Tarantula)
    Brachypelma smithi ex. annitha 0.0.1 (Mexican Giant Red Knee Tarantula) Monocentropus balfouri 0.0.2 (Socotra Island Blue Baboon Tarantula)
    Harpactira pulchripes
    0.0.1 (Golden Blue Leg Baboon Tarantula)

Nationality
    [Canada]

Congrats on the frog, and I would agree with the 2 people before you that frog isn't over weight. A little suggestion that will prevent you some headaches in the future, I would swap that substrate out for cocofibre instead of the coco husk. If he eats one of those wood chips he will become impacted, and if your letting him eat on his own and not tong feeding it is bound to happen. They aren't the best with aim and once something is in that big mouth he is going to swallow it. Also if your going to keep the moss I would really try to get him tong feeding, there was guy on here a couple weeks ago that had a post about his frog having moss hanging out of its bum and he had to help the frog remove it. I know people keep them with moss but it is a risk.

Quote Originally Posted by monster View Post
    Congrats on the frog, and I would agree with the 2 people before you that frog isn't over weight. A little suggestion that will prevent you some headaches in the future, I would swap that substrate out for cocofibre instead of the coco husk. If he eats one of those wood chips he will become impacted, and if your letting him eat on his own and not tong feeding it is bound to happen. They aren't the best with aim and once something is in that big mouth he is going to swallow it. Also if your going to keep the moss I would really try to get him tong feeding, there was guy on here a couple weeks ago that had a post about his frog having moss hanging out of its bum and he had to help the frog remove it. I know people keep them with moss but it is a risk.

Yeah, the moss is starting to get on MY nerves already as it sticks to everything and is hard to keep moist. The hornworms carry it around as well. I've tried to keep it mostly around the water dish but, yeah, that's not working out so well and I'll likely just remove it at this point.

The bedding was...ugh. Went to a local store instead of a chain store and they were nearly out of of EcoEarth so I grabbed that brick, then they had their own store brand that they claimed was 'exactly the same' and, yeah, it wasn't, it was husk. I was annoyed, to say the least, as I'd mixed both bricks since they were supposedly both the same and it wasn't noticeable that they weren't until they'd already been soaked. :|
    That's been replaced since the pics were taken. They weren't too concerned that it wasn't the same; the answer I got was, "coconut based bedding is all the same."

Obviously, that's not the case, one is fiber, the other has big chunks of husk in it.

Good to know he's not overweight; I know they're supposed to be fat and round looking, but I've only ever seen babies before. This guy is big enough to go over the edges of my hand, so I wasn't quite sure if that was a normal adult size or if he was bigger than he should be.

Thread Information