Thread: Frog supplements

Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

Default Frog supplements

Hi all.

I started planning on my adventure to get a frog. So far I know where to get my setup but food and supplements aren't that easy. I can start a cricket colony and feed them eggshells for calcium. I heard that people make a good part calcium powder from eggshells which are around 90% calcium carbonate. Apparently if you grind them finely, they're the same thing. Does anyone have experience with this? Also is there a way to supply the frog with vitamins other than powder? The frog I want to get is a pacman frog, which I know are quite lazy, so it probably wouldn't go to get something like a cuttlefish bone.

And one more thing, how do I make sure I don't give the frog too much calcium, I won't be using a UVB, just sunlight and some Led's.

Thanks.

Sent from my 5056X using Tapatalk

Sent from my 5056X using Tapatalk

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: Frog supplements

That's a difficult way to supplement calc. Crickets are not that great of a feeder either. I would just feed a commercial type bug food and dust with supplements. I use repashy calc plus every feeding, but you could mix a stand alone supps. I'm not sure what you have available, but something equal to a Canadian nightcrawler would be a superior feeder. Dubias are another really great alternative. As far as lights go they don't need any of that. Just a heat lamp to maintain 82f or so. I use a 40w red in a light with a dimmer.

Nationality
    [United States]

This nutritional chart [link] was written for newts and stuff, but it does show about the same info we need to know. Personally I prefer nightcrawlers as well, because there's less chance of impaction and the calcium content is way higher than adult crickets. I also supplement with small chunks of frozen fish and shrimp, and the occasional (monthly, at most) pinkie or fuzzy mouse. Some choose to feed adult mice, but I find that they make the frogs sluggish and swollen looking.

Member needs to set country!

Don't supplement don't feed insects. Just rodents' as long as your pacman has several month of aestivation your frow I'll need nothing else. Rodents have every thing inside to nutrition your frog. Pacman needs to put weight on as they don't eat when they go to sleep for several months

Thread Information