Thread: Getting a pacman frog!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Getting a pacman frog!

Hey, so I am going to get a pacman frog and I have done lots of research and would like to know if there is anything that they don't tell you about owning them. Things like behavior, illnesses, etc. I would also like to know what kind of habitat they prefer. Thanks!

Nationality
    [Canada]

Default Re: Getting a pacman frog!

Hi, if you have done your research you should be ok. Make sure you change there water daily, spot clean when needed and change his/her substrate once a month, give him/her their vitamins and you should be ok. I keep mine in 10 gallons for males and 20 longs for my females, some people prefer exoterras and some just use a basic tub, its really what you would prefer out of the three. They will do good in either one. For illnesses there like any frog, if you have good husbandry practices your frog should be ok. The most common thing I find with these guys is impaction due to the fact they aren't the best at catching food on the first try so they end up eating substrate, they usually can pass the cocofibre but the odd time they will get a lot and they get backed up. A warm bath with a few drops of honey usually does the trick, if this ever happens make sure you give him a second bath after to get the honey off. A good way to prevent this is to get him used to tong feeding as soon as you can. If he doesn't eat for the first few days don't stress they tend to do this when adjusting, sometimes you will get lucky and they have no problem adjusting and eat right away. Make sure you keep temps in the low 80's and let the temp drop at night and he will come out of his burrow and want to eat. For cage furnishings a water bowl and a couple plants ( fake or real ) for him to hide under is all you really need, they are pretty easy to care for. Cant really think of anything else at moment but if I do I will let you know and I imagine some others may have some advice. Hope everything goes well for you and enjoy your new froggy friend when you get him.

3. This member thanks monster for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Okay, and does the kind of honey you use matter? Do they have to be away from windows or vents? I have a ten gallon, so I think a male would be best for me. Do male pacmans make a chirping noise like male toads do? And last, what is the healthiest staple diet I can offer to my pacman? Thanks :)

Nationality
    [Canada]

Any kind of pure honey will do the trick, I use Billy Bee when I need it. I wouldn't keep them near a vent because when the heat kicks on or a/c it will make the temps be all over the place. You don't want the heat to spike and you don't want it to get to cold. For the window as long as he/she isn't directly in front of it you should be ok, again you don't want the sun to make the heat spike. I have never heard a toad chirp to be honest but if the frog ends up being male you will know when he croaks, it's hard to explain what it exactly sounds like. If you go on You Tube you will be able to find some videos of pacmans making noise, there a few of them on there. When babies I feed crickets and small pieces of nightcrawler, and throw in hornworms, silkworms, waxworms, butterworms etc for treats if I can them small enough and continue with this diet as they grow. When they are able to eat them I give pinkies once a month or so and move up in size as they get bigger. Now that mine are all adults only one of them really gets triggered by crickets and I usually really have to bug him with them, but not all pacmans are like this, alot will continue with the crickets. I just got stuck with the fussy bunch. L.O.L But all of them like there big juicy night crawlers.

Thread Information