Thread: HELP: Toad tensing up after eating?

Default HELP: Toad tensing up after eating?

Hello,
    I've got an Western Toad that I've had for a few months since they got out of the tadpole stage. I've been feeding them live meal worms (small ones) since they got big enough too. I was tracking how many they ate and they were averaging 4-5 a night but suddenly started eating only around 1-2 a night about two weeks ago. This is my first experience with having an amphibian as a pet so I haven't been sure what is normal and what isn't.
    On that note, I think this next bit is not normal. They always ate just fine but since slowing down they go after the mealworm, get it in their mouth, then their whole body tenses up and their legs straighten out and they just kind of freeze for a minute. They don't seem to want to eat much else after that. They've been eating only a mealworm or two since this all started a few weeks ago and I've been trying to look up what could potentially be happening but I just can't find anything. Has anyone else had this sort of issue before? I'm at a lose and I feel bad because they aren't eating nearly as much and I want to make sure it isn't something that I am doing.
    Thanks to anyone reading this!
    Chelsea

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: HELP: Toad tensing up after eating?

Hey, I am having a similar issue also. Whenever I mist my tank my Fire-Belly Toad (Zinc, who seems to be the only one out the the three that does this) Stiffens up into a ball very close to his body and does that for 2 seconds and then stops. I wonder if this is because of stress or if the water is cold but I use distilled water and they lay in it all day with no issues. In your case, I would just see if it goes away and if it doesn't call your local vet and see if they know anything or do tons of research. I hope this helps!

Quote Originally Posted by Ellybelly18 View Post
    Hey, I am having a similar issue also. Whenever I mist my tank my Fire-Belly Toad (Zinc, who seems to be the only one out the the three that does this) Stiffens up into a ball very close to his body and does that for 2 seconds and then stops. I wonder if this is because of stress or if the water is cold but I use distilled water and they lay in it all day with no issues. In your case, I would just see if it goes away and if it doesn't call your local vet and see if they know anything or do tons of research. I hope this helps!
    Maybe he just doesn't like being sprayed? I know when I spray my toad he balls up but it is not the same tensing up he does when he tries to eat. Hope you find some resolution with your issue and thanks for the reply!

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Are the frogs very small? It sounds like they might be having difficulty swallowing. Usually feeders should be about same size as the distance between the frog's eyeballs. Do you skip a day or two between feedings to give the frogs the chance to digest?

6. This member thanks elly for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by elly View Post
    Are the frogs very small? It sounds like they might be having difficulty swallowing. Usually feeders should be about same size as the distance between the frog's eyeballs. Do you skip a day or two between feedings to give the frogs the chance to digest?
    They're not too small, maybe about 2 inches long. The distance between his eyes? They are fairly close together, even a small meal worm would be too big for them if that is the case. I'm giving them small meal worms now. I've always heard that if it fits in then their, they can eat it but I suppose by that logic too they could over do it.
    I've been unsure as to how much a toad should be eating a day. I have been dropping in a few worms every day and seeing how many they will eat. They used to eat 3-4 but its gone down. I will try offering every other day and see if that helps.

Nationality
    [Denmark]

Hey OhHelloChelse!

Congratulations on your new guys Toads are awesome pets, can become extremely tame and have loads of personality! <3

Per my experience and the scenario you describe, check two things:

1 - A golden rule is that you feeder (the insect, you feed your guy) should not be broader than the space between his eyes, and not much longer either. This form of reaction often happens, when a toad eats a 'very big' (for him) or 'biting'/'very feisty' feeder, that strongly squirm around/scratch/or is uncomfortable.

Tensing up the whole body, is a way to try to "stiffen" the musculature, to grip the feeder og "hold it tight" inside, so it doesn't hurt/is uncomfortable.

2 - Meal worms are an easy access feeder, but not very healthy. Especially if you guy is slowing down in appetite (a tiny red flag, of course depending on temperature and a lot of other stuff). They are mostly fat and protein, and not much nutrients.

For any toad, variation in feeder animals is key. For terrestrial toads, a good feeder base is as follows:

a: Nightcrawler or simillar worms. They are packed with nutrients, very easy to digest (and very good at keeping things like impaction at bay) and are a good, "stable food" (i.e. what your guys nutrtion should primarily consist of).

b: "Gutfed" crickets. (Gutfed mean that you've fed and given the feeder insects healthy, nutritious food and water at least 24 hours before feeding them to your toad).
    c: "Gutfed" cockroaches, like Dubia roaches.
    d: "Gutfed" grassgoppers.
    e: Snacks, like waxworms, meal worms, fly larva or similar - depending on the size and type of your toad.

3 - Keep an eye on your guys' poop amount A healthy, well-off toads leaves some good, firm, solid, dark poops at least 3 times a week (depending on amount and type of food). If he's slowing down on wanting to eat, and has eaten a lot of meal worms only (which can also be a bit hard to digest, due to their shelltype) he could have a minor impaction or trouble getting rid of his food, which'll make him act slower og seem more sluggish, also when hunting.

I can really recommend nerding A LOT of careguides for terrestrial toads.

The amphibian.co.uk have some good terrestrial toad cares guides, that you can read and get some advise from: http://www.theamphibian.co.uk/amphibian_care_sheet.htm

If you have any other questions or need any help, feel free to contact me

The best for your little guy!

- toadmamma

Thread Information