Thread: Loads of RETF Questions

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Loads of RETF Questions

Well, after a few disasters with this tank (too much humidity, mold, too little humidity, a waterfall leaking and ruining the substrate, and finally an escapee that was never recovered) I'm trying to figure out the final modifications for these guys.

Just for reference, right now, they (two juvenile RETFs) are in a 55 gallon tall, half hex aquarium.

I have some plants that are dying, I have a full-spectrum light on top but apparently that's not enough, but some that are thriving. Should I take the surviving ones out, keep them as house plants and furnish the tank with fakes? That would obviously be easier to maintain but...I kind of like the look of the real plants, as long as they're not dying. Maybe if I get some springtails that'll help keep them alive?

Also, should I move them into a smaller tank? I keep spiders and fish and know that bigger isn't always better, but I'm not sure how it works for frogs...I was thinking about picking up another couple at repticon but only if I know for sure what I'm doing with this tank. I'm still heartbroken that one got out, but that's another story for a different day that requires tissues and wine.

I feed them each 5 crickets on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays. I get them from the pet store every day that I feed them so I don't have any of the little buggers escaping and running around my house. Is that enough? Should/can I start putting them in a dish though to make sure they're getting eaten? Should I be feeding them more variety? I tried putting the frogs in completely separate tubs for feeding time but one of them was kind of "meh" when it came to eating them...but they seem to be doing ok, I've had them for almost 3 months so they HAVE to be eating, right?

What's the best way to clean the glass? I've been just using a paper towel wet with water but should I be disinfecting it somehow?

They currently don't have any sticks in there because all of the natural wood I had started to mold. Does anyone have any suggestions on either how to treat the wood or where I can get fake, but natural looking, pieces?

Any info for any of these would be greatly appreciated!!!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Loads of RETF Questions

I'd leave the surviving plants in since you like the look and also because artificial plants can have sharp edges or be difficult to clean sometimes. Big, tall tanks are best for these frogs. Was your light intended for growing plants? If not I'd look around for another.

I don't know enough about red-eyes to say anything about the amount of food, but frogs have been known to live full healthy lifespans on cricket-only diets. Calcium + vitamin supplements should help prevent bone disorders

I wouldn't use disinfectant on glass unless the frogs were out of the tank and I washed it off very thoroughly afterwards. I use white vinegar and water solution and then rinse the sides.

I also wouldn't treat the wood unless treating: boiling then baking to remove germs. Most hardwoods should work, or you can look for ghostwood sold in aquarium stores. Grapevine tends to mold. Driftwood from the ocean probably has salt in it which I don't think would be good. Or you could get a fake vine or a magnetic ledge made of fairly tough styrofoam.

Nationality
    [United States]

I have never seen my RETF trio eat at all in the 2+ years that I've had them, but everyone is fat and happy (and the crickets disappear and the poops appear). I mist with water that's been through the britta so there's very little stain on the glass and I periodically clean it with vinegar. I use treated non-britta water for their pool.

Aliza

Nationality
    [United States]

Thank you, guys! I took out some of the super dying plants to see if they would pull back, but I won't know for a few days, most likely. I got the bulb from Petsmart in the aquarium section...maybe that's not good for land plants? I had read it was ok, but, I've been wrong about things before. ...rarely. But I think I'm going to get some more of the same type of surviving plants and just load it up. Not exactly a lot of variety, but, I don't think the frogs will care. Oh, and for actual dimensions, from the substrate to the top they have about 15 inches and side to side they have about 40? Is that tall enough or should I start looking for a new tank?

I have calcium + D3...do I need more vitamins than that? I was told that it would be ok, but. Mmmmmmmmm.

That sounds good. I switched from treated water to plain spring water and for some reason that makes the glass clearer on its own, so, I'll stick with that.

I was thinking about going to the lakes around me to look for freshwater driftwood, and baking it for a couple of hours. If I can't find any nice pieces I'll just go to the store.

Britta sounds so much cheaper than buying a new gallon of water every week. Not that water is SO expensive but, considering all of the critters and limited funds I have, every dollar counts.

Thank you guys so much!

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Yeah, my vivarium isn't wet enough for aquatic plants either. Maybe if you had a water section. I find that typical houseplants that don't need much light can survive their roots sitting in water work best.

I can't think of the measurements in my mind but the height sounds okay. More would be better, but since it's measured from the top of substrate could be good. .

A reptile vitamin with A included wouldn't hurt Or one with both vitamins and calcium. Frogs can develop short-tongue syndrome from lack of A, but that usually takes a while to develop. Feed the crickets nutritious things like carrots and you could be fine.

I wouldn't trust spring water (you mean bottled water?) That can also have some chlorine in it. I'd treat the spring water too just to be sure. It may be that there's less buildup on the glass because there are fewer minerals. Britta shouldn't really be necessary unless you have lots of heavy metals in your water.

Nationality
    [United States]

I use the Britta with all my glass enclosures that require misting in order to avoid white deposits on the walls.

Aliza

Thread Information