Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pixie tadpoles

John911

Default Re: Pixie tadpoles

Quote Originally Posted by onedge30 View Post
    Spec,

I was really hoping that they were pixie bullfrogs.

x2. I hope to get one myself eventually and I know I am going to end up paying some good money for one.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Ireland]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

those are some type of ranid tadpoles, not Pyxicephalus.
    You need to get your terms straight. Pyxicephalus are Ranids (family Ranidae). You are thinking of the genus Rana, not the family Ranidae.

Two huge physical features that these do not have, are the eyes on top and a noticeable stripe down the center of the back.
    They only get those when they finish growing their back legs. Until then they are not marked in that way.
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

onedge30

Thanks, John. Yea, you are right on the rana. Since they are both Ranidae.

Now on the features, I compared the tadpoles with photos under the caresheet and other sources on the net. The eyes are distinctly on the top and line is there even on the tadpoles. And they are not that green, they are more of a blue grey. Are these photos not a good representation of the correct look?

Thanks. Always looking to learn more.

onedge30

Comparing green tadpoles to African Bullfrog tadpoles.

Kevin1

Those are american bullfrog tadpoles not Pyxicephalus tadpoles. I've raised many of them.

spec

Any idea's on what i should do about this, I didn't want to raise frogs that I'm capable of catching in my pond. I suppose I'll return to the pet store and raise some (bleep). Kind of fun taking care of them tho. They're on the eat a pellet make a pellet diet. Kind of messy, but i'll just kick on the filter for about 10 minutes and it seems to collect all of the pellets that aren't food. lol

pixiefrogman

Well American Bullfrogs are still very cool pets!

spec

Still no morph since original post. Havn't really changed in size either. Sad face. I talked to the owner of the pet shop and she said '' oh, these are bullfrogs from california, not pyxie. They didn't know what they were talking about." >:-|

spec

There hasn't been much change in size on these tadpoles since original post from what i can tell. 2 have turned a lighter green color and the other 2 are still very dark swampy green. no legs or anything. Any ideas? I had 1 die and another one come up missing like a ninja, i honestly don't know where he went but there is always a lid on it so... They havn't morphed in any way

pixiefrogman

Quote Originally Posted by spec View Post
    There hasn't been much change in size on these tadpoles since original post from what i can tell. 2 have turned a lighter green color and the other 2 are still very dark swampy green. no legs or anything. Any ideas? I had 1 die and another one come up missing like a ninja, i honestly don't know where he went but there is always a lid on it so... They havn't morphed in any way
    From what I've heard, they take a long time to morph.

Nationality
    [South Africa]

I guys, I know this post was in August but just wanted to give you guys some advise so that nobody else gets shafted like this in the future. Pyxis will breed during the wet season here in Southern Africa, that is from September to February. We have started noticing in recent years that your wet season has now changed from December to April. But what does this all mean? Bascially if you are being offered Pyxi tadpoles anything before November or after March you are being shafted.

Hope this helps in the future guys.

Ciao

Jace

Depending on water temperature, they can take a couple of years to begin to morph. Raising the water temperature might speed things up, but could lead to other problems as bullfrogs are meant to go slow and steady.

Kevin1

Quote Originally Posted by spec View Post
    From what I've observed with mine, some took two years while others took 5-6 months and everything in between. They were all kept in the same body of water. Which leads me to believe some genetic factors might be at work.

spec

wooooow. Thats a very long time, so if i put them in the microwave it should speed it up jace? j/k :P I've kept them all in the same body of water for awhile but the water would get very murky, very fast. I've relocated them into a seperate containers and moved them to a slightly warmer location to see if it will make a difference.

pixiefrogman

Quote Originally Posted by Buck Rogers View Post
    I guys, I know this post was in August but just wanted to give you guys some advise so that nobody else gets shafted like this in the future. Pyxis will breed during the wet season here in Southern Africa, that is from September to February. We have started noticing in recent years that your wet season has now changed from December to April. But what does this all mean? Bascially if you are being offered Pyxi tadpoles anything before November or after March you are being shafted.

Hope this helps in the future guys.

Ciao
    Unless they come from the Frog Ranch.

Nationality
    [United States]

If the pet store won't take them back, then I wouldn't release them until you're absolutely certain that they're native to your area.
    I used to think that I had to understand in order to believe, then I realized that I must believe in order to understand - Augustine

Jace

Microwave them??!!!! How do you think I got Poe to morph so quick!? Lol

pixiefrogman

Quote Originally Posted by Jace View Post
    I was laughing so hard after I read this!

Nationality
    [United States]

Frog legs are usually best fried .
    Quote Originally Posted by Jace View Post
    I used to think that I had to understand in order to believe, then I realized that I must believe in order to understand - Augustine

21. This member thanks JimO for this post:

Kevin1

Quote Originally Posted by JimO View Post
    If the pet store won't take them back, then I wouldn't release them until you're absolutely certain that they're native to your area.
    THANK YOU JIM!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information