Thread: Adopted (or stole) a frog today and need help!

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Adopted (or stole) a frog today and need help!

Yesterday we were celebrating the 4th of July with my boyfriend's family at his family's house. Some kids were trying to look at their family's frogs, his relative told me and his mom that he forgot about the frogs for a couple days in the heat (90 degree plus in a house that doesn't have airconditioninng) and they both died. His mom cried for a while... because how can someone forget about living things like that? I felt bad for the froggies. Today my boyfriend stopped by the house again when no one was home to pick up some stuff we left. My boyfriend wanted to bury the frogs and looked in the cage (I didn't want to see the dead froggies so I didn't ).The one frog was very clearly dead but the other one was hiding, barely moving, under a stump. He still had some of his normal color to him. We sprayed him with water to see if he'd react and he started moving! We realized that if we hadn't stopped back, the neglect would have continued with the assumption that both frogs were dead. I told my boyfriend we had to take the frog to our house and he agreed. Now we have a tree frog. We took him to our house and promptly washed the cage any changed the substrate. We went out and got him 15 crickets. Now our stolen frog is settled into his new home. I think that he must have gone a while without food because he looks significanty smaller than he used to, and he definitely went without water.

My questions are:

What sort of tree frog is he?
    Any hints on caring for a malnourished frog?
    Does he appear underweight?

He's surprisingly active despite all he's been through...

Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: Adopted (or stole) a frog today and need help!

also, are they social creatures? They would appear to be snuggling sometimes but I wasn't sure if it's just cause they like to climb. I was wondering if he needs a friend since he's always had one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

That's a white's (dumpy) tree frog. It looks either young or underweight.

I can't see a water bowl, so if it's not there he really needs one. The water needs to be dechlorinated tap or dechlorinated bottled. You can buy dechlorinating solution for fish and use that. No distilled water! (You might already know that, I just want to cover the bases.)

Just feed him well. It's a good idea to get calcium or calcium plus vitamin powder to dust the crickets before feeding.

Frogs seem pretty solitary: happy to sit on one another when they're in tanks, but in the wild they often go off on their own and don't really gather in groups except for mating. Your frog should be fine alone.

5. 2 members thank elly for this post:

100+ Post Member Cliygh and Mia 2's Avatar
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Yes, definetly a White's tree-frog, and what a way to acquire a frog! I think you're doing good for right now, something you could do since it appears underweight, perhaps buy wax-worms which are high in fat and coat them in a frog-safe calcium and vitamin powder so he can get back the nutrients he's probably lost from being there. White's are one of the types of frogs that could live in a group, but you would have to quarantine any animal you attempt to add to the enclosure as they could be harboring diseases which are not only hard to cure, but could also spread to the original animal with disastrous results, not to mention you would have to get a bigger enclosure, as the recommended size for two White's tree-frogs is a 20 gallon tall enclosure, but of course bigger is better. Here's a few good care-sheets to help get you started:

http://www.frogforum.net/content.php...toria-caerulea

http://www.reptilesmagazine.com/Frog...tion-and-Care/

http://www.theamphibian.co.uk/whites...care_sheet.htm

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Why no distilled water? my frog has been having distilled water and elly i am very confused I have been told yes and no to distilled water and fora month or two my frog has been fine with it so.....?
    this also could help the other person because idk if its ok.

100+ Post Member Cliygh and Mia 2's Avatar
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

I believe the reason why they stated distilled water is bad is due to it loosing some things that amphibians use water for. Here's a snippet from the Caudata Culture articles as to why it's a bad idea to use it for the long run:

Do NOT use water that is labeled as "distilled" or "drinking water". Distilled water (or Reverse Osmosis water) has virtually no ions in it, so it causes more work for the amphibian's kidneys. It may be used to replace water lost to evaporation, but an animal should not be kept in pure distilled or RO water. Bottled "drinking water" is usually just filtered tap water and probably no better than your own tap water.

The Wright & Whitaker Amphibian Medicine and Captive Husbandry book says:

"Amphibians rely upon the water in which they live to provide them with many of the constituents needed to carry out metabolic processes... Distilled and reverse osmosis water contain none of the elements required by amphibians and should not be used without modification."

9. This member thanks Cliygh and Mia 2 for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Here's the source Xavier is quoting about distilled water. It can be used in spray bottles, no problem if you don't want mineral spots on your glass. It wouldn't hurt a frog to top up other water with distilled, but only having distilled water all the time would be a problem. In general if there aren't any kinds of minerals in water it it can be bad for kidneys and leach minerals from bones over the long term.

11. This member thanks elly for this post:

Thread Information