Thread: Bloated or just fat? Skin issues? Help!

Default Bloated or just fat? Skin issues? Help!

Hello!
    I recently got an African clawed frog that was abandoned by a previous owner and given to me by the owner's landlord. I was not given any food for her, or her two tankmates at the time (An African Featherfin catfish and what turned out to be a juvenile Bullhead catfish) I know woefully little about these frogs but I'm trying to give her the best. I am pretty sure she's full grown but I don't know how old she is. Right now I have her in a ten gallon with a Whisper filter, some smaller sand I was told would be small enough for her to pass if she eats it accidentally. She's got a broken flower pot for a hiding place but I sanded the edges down so they weren't sharp. She's got some silk plants and a moss ball too. Her tank is heated to about 74 degrees, but I don't know the conditions she came from. I feed her Repto-Min turtle pellets, two or three every three days and the very occasional worm from my backyard compost pile (I know for a fact that neither we nor my neighbors use herbicides/pesticides so is pulling them from there still a good idea?) I've had her for about three months.

I've noticed she's been getting bigger lately and while it doesn't look like pictures of bloat that I've seen, but I don't know if she was just underfed when I got her and now she's a healthy weight or if she was a healthy weight and is now too big. I also don't know how to fix it. I am having a hard time finding information on Clawed Frogs, more often I found stuff on Dwarf frogs

She also seems to be shedding in large clumps instead of one piece. I've read that that's not good but I don't know how to fix that either.

Vets are tricky, my parents don't believe in spending money on any animal that can be replaced for less than $50 and since I'm hella broke they'd be the ones needing to pay for it.

These pictures were taken of her tonight!

http://s1222.photobucket.com/user/An...heteh.jpg.html
    http://s1222.photobucket.com/user/An...sapol.jpg.html
    Last edited by Aylaa206; June 24th, 2017 at 08:52 PM. Reason: forgot a line

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

Default Re: Bloated or just fat? Skin issues? Help!

Hi Aylaa

Good for you to take the frog and hopefully understand more about them, others might chirp in but for the momment will concentrate on the imediate care for the froggy, you gave no mention of water parameters? What kits are you using to test the water each week importantly treat the water with conditioners that include chlorine/metal*very important*nitrate/nitrite // bloats most always caused by poor water condition & normaly fatal.

POOR tank cleaning regime IE gravel hoovering/filter sponge cleaning your likely to attract the bad bacteria, gravel traps to much dirt and can create bad bacteria soup unless you are hoovering, best remove gravel or vacum twice a week; I fast my frogs every 3rd day this is good for them in many respects the tank will benefit and so will your frogs# you must change 1/3 of your tank water twice a week using CONDITIONER such as PRIME for now I would fast the frog for the next 4 days see if the size reduces and then fast on every 3rd day going forward will post some better Info latter for now get a PH/nitrate and water conditioner kit these are paramount in keeping your frog safe# and change 1/3 water

Thank you so much for your response! I was just on vacation for five days and got home today, size hasn't changed but neither has behavior, she still has a big appetite and still seems to have no trouble swimming around. I'll stop and buy a water test kit on my way home from work tomorrow and let you know then!

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

If you promise and religously change 1/3rd water twice weekly forget the test kit and use your money to buy PRIME water conditioner" I also add Lymnozime or known as Kyozozyme it competes with bad bacteria but its very potent and requires careful droplets

Thread Information