Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Collection updated (pic heavy) C. Cornuta and Brazilian C. aurita

Nationality
    [United States]

Default My Collection updated (pic heavy) C. Cornuta and Brazilian C. aurita

I'd like to introduce you to my 8 frogs which are all captive bred born. I own 2 Brazilians, 5 Surinam & 1 hybrid Fantasy horned frog. All are being fed calcium supplement and multivitamin RepCal brand with d3.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: My Collection updated (pic heavy) C. Cornuta and Brazilian C. aurita

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: My Collection updated (pic heavy) C. Cornuta and Brazilian C. aurita

Nationality
    [United States]

I have 2 green phase,1 tri color phase, 2 brown phase Surinam pacmans and 2 Brazilians.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Wow, nice frogs! I think surinam horned frogs look really cool, just something in the body shape, posture, and face. Someday I want a surinam myself. It looks like you're using plastic bins. How are you heating them? I've been thinking about setting mine up in some bins. How are the Brazilians? They're not very common, and I haven't heard tons about them.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

Awesome

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

Nationality
    [United States]

Thank you! I agree whole heartily about Surinam horned frogs looks! I live in south FL so I do not need a heat source in my home. My setups are constantly reading 82-83F (I use a digital probe thermometer/hygrometer) during the day and it drops ever so slightly at night. I see you are in CA daybr4ke, I am from Norcal and I was using heating pads and red incandescent bulbs at 75 watts for a long time while I lived in CA.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Ra View Post
    Awesome

Thank you Ra. I love them all not to post them on here.

Nationality
    [United States]

Awesome, I'll have to give red bulbs a go. I was thinking about a ceramic heater, but if red bulbs are good enough I'll probably give them a go. On the surinams, the eye ridges are what everyone always brings up, the "horns", but what strikes me is they look smug. Really cool frogs. It's really cool that the temp is perfect for them, by the way. Convenient lol

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by daybr4ke View Post
    How are the Brazilians? They're not very common, and I haven't heard tons about them.
    I know of one shop that has one Brazilian (cbb) for sale. Snakes at Sunset. I bought one of mine, the first one from them. They are beautiful and develop reds on their hind quarters. They eat well after they settle in with you in their setups. One of mine would not tong feed for 4 weeks, after leaving the room and placing wax worms and legless crickets in front my Brazilian he/she started to eat consistently. Now after a couple months my Brazilian is tong feeding on earthworms and crickets weekly and ferociously! My new Brazilian which isn't tong feeding loves crickets and will not tong feed yet. I feed earthworms and he isn't read to tong feed and eat them from me YET. Brazilians are actually quite shy compared to Surinam group. The Surinam's love being out and about, while Brazilians like to hide under the leaves I provided as a hide.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by daybr4ke View Post
    Awesome, I'll have to give red bulbs a go. I was thinking about a ceramic heater, but if red bulbs are good enough I'll probably give them a go. On the surinams, the eye ridges are what everyone always brings up, the "horns", but what strikes me is they look smug. Really cool frogs. It's really cool that the temp is perfect for them, by the way. Convenient lol
    I think a ceramic heat emitter would work as well, I never bought one. True the red bulbs are probably less expensive. Besides looking so terrific, my Surinams change color all the time. I can tell you brown phase certainly do as they grow. Peach color, then to silver, then to pinkish-peach, to silver-blue hue. It is a great experience!

Nationality
    [United States]

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

I've all ways preferred under the tank heat

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

Also, 75 watts seems really high! I imagine it must have been quite some distance from the enclosure.
    I live in Minnesota, i keep my Cranwells at room temps that I let naturally shift between 72 and around 80 in the day time, and use a space heater in the winter.
    But I plan on getting some Surinam Horned frogs so in planning a heated shelf, using 3 inch flex watt heat tape.

Nationality
    [United States]

Also, 75 watts seems really high! I imagine it must have been quite some distance from the enclosure.
    I live in Minnesota, i keep my Cranwells at room temps that I let naturally shift between 72 and around 80 in the day time, and use a space heater in the winter.
    But I plan on getting some Surinam Horned frogs so in planning a heated shelf, using 3 inch flex watt heat tape.

Yes it was a really high lamp distance. At the time my frogs were all setup in 10 gallon tanks you buy in Petco for fish. That sounds pretty good. How are they doing with 80F? I think you can bump it up when you use that heat tape a few more degrees. I hope you seek your sources and buy CB Surinam's. I have a friend who is struggling to feed his WC Surinam on lizards only. I went through it several years ago and lost my WC Surinam after it ate well on crickets and silkworms for one week and died..

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

In my experience the Cranwells do well at lower temps, but my Fantasy Frog I always kept between 80 to 82

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

I would only buy cb Cornuta, save the wilds for the breeders who have the resources for that.

Nationality
    [United States]

I would only buy cb Cornuta, save the wilds for the breeders who have the resources for that.

That sounds good.

Nationality
    [United States]

In my experience the Cranwells do well at lower temps, but my Fantasy Frog I always kept between 80 to 82

Keep us updated.

Nationality
    [United States]

All these Surinam frog pics are making me really want one. Been planning to get a couple new frogs, a high red ornate and a pixie, but this thread is making me want a Surinam lol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information