Thread: WTF possible broken leg

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default WTF possible broken leg

Hello fellow frog lovers,
    One of my white's tree frogs appears to have a broken back leg. I have no idea how it could have happened. Leg is swollen, slightly red, and there is an obvious hard bump which appears to be the bone.
    I have called every vet in my area, and none will see my frog. I do have an account with Dr. Frye is Milan MI, but don't know how he will be able to help as I'm in Santa Fe NM.
    The frog is currently in a small enclosure, damp paper towel, and small tree for shelter (not really for climbing).
    My question is, would it be possible for this to heal on it's own? Or am I possibly looking at euthanasia? Anyone with experience in this area?
    Frog is approximately 5 years old, nothing has changed in his environment.
    I do not have a pic but will post one when I'm able.
    Thanks
    1.1.0 White's Treefrog
    1.0.0 Red Eyed Leaf Frog

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Default Re: WTF possible broken leg

I wish I could help more. I do know that a broken bone is less severe if it's a front leg rather than a back. You mentioned a bump, is it a clean break? I would try a splint, maybe but that seems like it could do more harm than good if the frog squirmed while you were trying to set the bone. Also there's a chance of the frog's skin getting injured by rubbing on the splint.

Hopefully someone with more experience will answer.

4. This member thanks elly for this post:

I recently had a frog injure a front leg (either dislocation or a break) and brought her in to a vet. They offered an x-ray, but didn't have monitoring equipment suitable for a frog to fix the issue regardless of what the x-ray showed. I talked to the vet for a while and we decided since she still had an appetite and was moving around to take some pain meds home (possibly more for my benefit than hers, but it made me feel better) and to keep an eye on her. I separated her from the other frogs she was housed with and has been doing fine since. Is your frog still interested in food? Able to get around? I would not consider euthanasia unless quality of life is low. I'm yet to have a frog that doesn't love food time, so I think that can be a good indicator.
    I used http://www.herpvetconnection.com to find a vet, contacted many and only one had vets who had worked with amphibians before. The vet told me that the leg may relocate itself if that is the issue otherwise scar tissue would eventually form and the frog would adapt to moving differently. I hope this helps!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

6. This member thanks andfrogs for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]

Thank you for your reply.
    The 'bump' I mentioned looks like the bone and that yes it is a clean break. I'm going to try and post a photo when I get home. I'm quite honestly very afraid to try and re-set it...
    I'm emailing Dr. Frye later and will send him a pic, hopefully he'll have some insight.

andfrogs, your story is actually really helpful.
    He still has his same wtf appetite and is walking and mobile. He even tried to jump out of my hand when I was examining him. So he is not deteriorating.
    My concern is if he's in pain. I'd hate to try and mend him while he is in pain, then the leg not heal properly and he be miserable. But I have read via the www that frogs can heal on their own. So I think as long as he's eating and appears otherwise well and not getting worse, I'll just closely monitor him for now and hope he gets better.

I did find an herp vet an hour away who was willing to examine him, but she said she probably would want an xray to know for sure what was going on... Then she said there wasn't much to be done if it was broken except for surgery (via pinning the bone together) and he may not even survive. Quite frankly, I love this little guy, but I don't think I'd put him through that. Also, she mentioned a possible anti-inflammatory med to help speed healing.
    Doctor Frye has helped me in the past, so I'm going to see what his thoughts are...
    1.1.0 White's Treefrog
    1.0.0 Red Eyed Leaf Frog

Nationality
    [United States]

How do I post pictures?
    1.1.0 White's Treefrog
    1.0.0 Red Eyed Leaf Frog

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

the uploader is broken, you'd have to use something like flickr or photobucket and post the link.

10. This member thanks elly for this post:

Hey, any update on this- how's your little guy doing? Did Dr. Frye get back to you?

Nationality
    [United States]

Hi there,
    I did not hear back from Dr. Frye, unfortunately.
    My frog is currently in a small critter keeper to keep him from climbing. I'm keeping him warm and moist.
    His appetite is still really good, and he croaks often at night.
    I'm hoping the leg may heal on its own, based on your story andfrogs.

Here are photos that I sent Dr. Frye, they were taken 5 days ago. http://s1378.photobucket.com/user/bo...?sort=3&page=1
    Looks pretty bad.

I'll try and get more tonight and see if there is any improvement.

Thanks for checking in. So far he's doing better than I anticipated.
    1.1.0 White's Treefrog
    1.0.0 Red Eyed Leaf Frog

How's he been doing in the last couple weeks?

14. This member thanks andfrogs for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]

He's about the same. Still has a strong appetite and leg is still quite swollen. Nothing has really changed.
    I'm hoping it will heal, but I'm assuming the leg will never be the same again.

I'm particularly attached to this frog. I've had him for about 5 years and when I first brought him home he had terrible diarhea. Dr. Frye tested his stool (yes, I actually mailed him a sample!) and he had a terrible infestation of protozoa. He was about the size of a quarter then, and now is a strong handsome guy. Hoping he's not in too much pain and will pull through.

I may email Dr. Frye again, though I hate to be a pest. I would love it if there were some med available to help speed the healing...

Thanks for checking in.
    1.1.0 White's Treefrog
    1.0.0 Red Eyed Leaf Frog

16. 2 members thank Bolisnide for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

I know about being attached to frogs. It's so frustrating that there often isn't good medical care available

18. This member thanks elly for this post:

Thread Information