Thread: Is My Waterfall Killing My Frogs?

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Is My Waterfall Killing My Frogs?

Hey! I'm new to the forum but have already read and learned a bunch! Now I have a question...

I got 3 RETFs earlier this year at a Repticon, and I think I finally got their final setup finished...55 gallon tall, live plants, sticks...and a waterfall. At first I was really excited about it, but I'm starting to worry...the waterfall circulates/filters the water in the drainage layer, but the substrate seems not swampy put REALLY damp. My hygrometer got smashed in the process of setting up the tank (go figure) so I'm not sure what the actual humidity level is. There's a LOT of condensation on the glass but the room they're in is pretty chilly while they have a nice heat cable under their substrate. I'm just worried about it being too humid and them getting respiratory infections, and was wondering if anyone had any opinions on what option I should take:

Make more of the top a screen rather than being essentially 100% covered (I'm already working on this but I was more concerned with them not getting out at the time)
    Turn the waterfall off at night
    Turn the waterfall off all together
    Take the top off all together and air it out at night/in the morning

There are my first amphibians in a while so I'm a little rustier than I thought I would be. But, now I have the frogs and I'm trying to do right by them. ANy advice is seriously appreciated!!!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Is My Waterfall Killing My Frogs?

ventilation is important, so I'd suggest doing any of those things except maybe turning the waterfall off altogether if it's there to filter the water. I mean, you could turn it off but you'd need to do water changes.
    I think the frogs may be able to tolerate high humidity reasonably well- some of their natural territory is rainforest. But I wouldn't want to keep them in high humidity with stagnant air for a long time.

Nationality
    [United States]

I got a hygrometer and it's about 83%...I wonder if I could hook up a fan? That might make it too cold though. Hmm. Do you think if I left the top off the tank while I was cleaning it (slowly) a couple of times a week that would be good? I've been researching their humidity needs and some breeders say 90% and some breeders say 30% so...I'm going to try for an even 60 at least a few times a week?

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

They need much better ventilation, a full screen top at least. Moist, stagnant air will indeed kill them. 60% humidity is great, (I don't know who would suggest 90%, that's complete nonsense unless you're trying to bred them in a rain chamber) but in reality none of the cheap hygrometers give you more than a vague clue anyway.
    You don't want ANY condensation running down the glass.
    Find me on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100011064331624

Trachycephalus resinifictrix - Trachycephalus nigromaculatus - Agalychnis callidryas - Agalychnis spurelli - Phyllomedusa sauvagii - Phyllomedusa bicolor - Phyllomedusa vaillanti - Phyllomedusa tomopterna - Gastrotheca riobambae - Anotheca spinosa - Cruziohyla craspedopus - Cruziohyla calcarifer - Hyla arborea - Litoria caerulea.

6. This member thanks Diver for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]

Alright. With some wire, metal caging, fiberglass screen and plenty of tears and cursing, I have a really ugly but functional screen top. I'm really glad you suggested it because as I was taking down the original top, I noticed mold starting to grow in a couple of places. But, now the tank is mold free and almost condensation free! However, now the waterfall isn't working (I turned it off to mess with everything in the tank and now it isn't working at all) but I think I need to redo the whole "water feature" anyway because the side of the pool apparently isn't sealed all the way and the entirety of my substrate is waterlogged (if you push on it, a puddle forms around your hand). I'm thinking of just emptying the entire tank, draining the water, ringing out the substrate and just getting them a water dish rather than an entire "pond". *Sigh* I can't wait until I get the hang of these guys again, because right now every day brings up a new challenge.

Thread Information