Thread: Pacman frog not eating or burrowing

Default Pacman frog not eating or burrowing

Hey! I'm new and I got a Baby Pacman frog in march and it has not really eaten, it was burrowing a while ago and i had to take it out to clean its enclosure but now it just sits there, oh its an albino baby pacman frog who's name is Mr. pickles. Recently he has eaten on or two mealworms and he has not gone to the bathroom. Can someone please tell me good temps to have the tank at, the tank is five gallons and very humid. If I have done something wrong please tell me i am desperate, please also tell me what are some good things to feed him . Thank you soooooooo much.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Pacman frog not eating or burrowing

Temp is best kept in the upper 70's to low 80's, with 83 usually being described as optimal. For most critters a hotter side and a cooler side are recommended, although for pacman frogs I'm not sure. Mine always stays on the warmer side, only moving closer to the cooler side when he wants to get in the wafter dish. Calcium dusted/gut loaded crickets are a good food source and I think they're usually cheaper than meal worms, and a bit healthier, since meal worms have a lot of chitin. Dubia roaches are often available and are a good food source. I don't care too much for them, though some swear by them. They tend to burrow in my tank's substrate. In my reading lately ive seen a lot of people recommend nightcrawlers as a staple. Calcium dusting is very important with most food sourcea to avoid calcium deficiency wich leads to metabolic bone disease. Apart from food, I've read albinos can go blind from certain light sources, so that's something to look into. Humidity is good in the 70-80 range, I've read extended periods at 90 are very bad, as is too low a humidity, so keeping track with a humidity gauge is ideal. A spray bottle is a good thing to have for humidity regulation. All water, sprayed in or put in the dish should be dechlorinated with a product such as amquell. As for the health concerns, how long has he been going without food, and how long has it been since you found any feces? The length of time he hasn't been burrowing is also important. For more information on feeders, there are plenty of threads on them, this site has a lot of info, just browsing the stickies ought tof give you more info on what feeder insects are good. I've seen a lot of people recommend against meal worms for example. I hope this helped a bit. From my reading, the most readily prescribed thing for care is soaking the frog in shallow warm water, with some honey in it, but I wouldn't jump and go do that, I'm not sure if it's necessary, I'd wait for someone else to recommend it as well, just in case I don't know what I'm talking about.
    Last edited by daybr4ke; May 31st, 2017 at 01:46 AM. Reason: Spelling, added nightcrawlers

4. This member thanks daybr4ke for this post:

Thank you so much for replying so quick! I am not sure how long ago I saw a feces but he has not burrowed in just under a week. What is the best heater for them right now I have a bulb that does not produce light but produces heat in the lower 70s . I know I am doing some thing wrong but I kneed help figuring out what. What else could I do? I spraw him with a spraw bottle and it is pretty moist in there. We are going to get some nightcrawlers some time later if we can.

Just one more thing should i put a water dish in his enclosure? How often do they go to the bathroom? And i found another meal worm bit under his mouth but i never see him move, and his body is covered in coconut husk even though he has not been underground. Again THANK you for helping me and I will try to do a lot more reading to find some more answers.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

No problem, I'm happy to help. I keep a water dish for my pacman frog, an ornata, and he gets in pretty regularly, and I often see him sitting in it. I've read a lot of people just keep the substrate moist, but I see him in it enough that I'm fairly certain he likes having it. As for heating, an under tank heater(UTH) is often recommended for horned frogs, as heat lamps dry out the substrate, and UVB or UVA in some lights may be harmful to albinos(going to read up and edit later with more on that.) In general, a UTH is often paired with a thermostat that allows you to set the temperature to exactly what you want it at. One thing is even if you haven't seen him burrow if he is covered in substrate he may have burrowed while you were away. On the note of finding your frog's feces and removing it, another perk if a water dish is that frogs often do their business in the water. If left in the substrate, it can get Coco fiber all over it and get missed. In the water dish I almost always see it and remove it pretty quick. Another good thing is if you are at work or school or something and it gets a bit dry they have access to water. For temp, 83 is considered best for encouraging healthy digestion. Not too long ago I was told to bring up my temp from around 81 to 83. 70s is too low, so a UTHis probably the best bet. With a 5 gallon you may be limited to a hermit crab heater if it is made of plastic. I would say heating is one of the more difficult issues, and one of the most important. If I think of anything else, I'll add it. Good luck!
    Edit:
    http://www.frogforum.net/showthread.php?t=32188
    A link to a thread on here with lots of info, including info on albinos and uv problems.
    Last edited by daybr4ke; May 31st, 2017 at 05:06 PM. Reason: Added link

Thread Information