Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Amazing, again! Growing Uber Fast!

IvoryReptiles

Default Amazing, again! Growing Uber Fast!

First pics from last night, near midnight.

This next series is from an hour ago! They have started to absorb the tails and will soon have NO tails!

As you can see, the Albinos are a bit more advanced in growth than the Normal Green is..... but only JUST!
    We are starting them on earthworms tonight. The photos are of the same 4 tadpoles I have followed from the start of the process. You have shared it with us. Thank You!

This is only 4 out of 75 tadpole we still have. They are in separate tubs according to size so that we can keep a tight grip on the cannibalism.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Ireland]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Amazing, again! Growing Uber Fast!

Very nice indeed. I wish I still lived in Texas. Thanks for keeping us updated.
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

SethD

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    Very nice indeed. I wish I still lived in Texas.
    So does everybody that has ever left Texas John. Or so we texans say at least.

spec

yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee haw What part of tx you from bro, Thats some nice looking froglets you've got there.

PaulyMolitor

awesome! keep up with the updates! really cool

Malinda

So cute!

John911

That's amazing. Very nice pics.

IvoryReptiles

Quote Originally Posted by spec View Post
    yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee haw What part of tx you from bro, Thats some nice looking froglets you've got there.
    Um.....I'm a "Sis".....LOL

We are down Corpus way and thanks!

Nationality
    [Ireland]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

I think he was talking to Seth .
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

onedge30

Wow. They are just bustin' with growth.

You are separating them by size? How many in a tub?

RikoAustria

Great pictures! Awesome documentation.

goreptiles

Makes me want another. ha these are super cute pictures.

IvoryReptiles

Quote Originally Posted by onedge30 View Post
    Wow. They are just bustin' with growth.

You are separating them by size? How many in a tub?
    Well, we now have 3 tubs and there are approximately 15 or so per tub....... we have the largest in individual containers (about 28 of those!).

We will be starting treatment for Chytrid next week.....better safe than sorry!
    We keep them well fed and the cannibalism is not an issue once they start sprouting legs.
    I read an article about these tadpoles being the only ones that actually "scream". As we change water daily (sometimes 2 times!), we have actually heard them do it!!!! The theory is that they scream to let siblings know they are the same......since they tend to predate on tadpoles of other species in the wild, this makes sense.
    We scoop them up in a net when cleaning, and you can hear them "scream".....sounds more like a mini bark to me. I will try to get this on video.

onedge30

Thanks, that is great info. Would make some great pictures! All the babies all over the place. Sounds like you really have your hands full.

Screaming babies.... that sounds like other species.

What is Chytrid? I am not that familiar with frog specific bugs.

Are you still feeding mainly frozen thawed blood worms?

IvoryReptiles

Quote Originally Posted by onedge30 View Post
    Thanks, that is great info. Would make some great pictures! All the babies all over the place. Sounds like you really have your hands full.

Screaming babies.... that sounds like other species.

What is Chytrid? I am not that familiar with frog specific bugs.

Are you still feeding mainly frozen thawed blood worms?

We do have our hands FULL!!
    Aside from the frogs, we also breed geckos & snakes.

Chytrid is a fungus and many Rana are known carriers of it. So just to be safe, we will be treating ALL of the tadpoles as well as the parents again to be sure they are healthy and do not carry it on to their new homes.

We are still feeding the tadpoles that have not metamorphisized into froglets yet on the frozen bloodworms. We figured it is less possibility of exposure to any other parasites or fungus than feeding mosquito larvae or wild Gulf Coast Tadpoles would.bring.

We will be offering the froglets cut up earthworms and red wigglers, crickets & roaches (from our private colony) to start until they are ready for pinkies. They will be well started by then and ready to go to new homes.

Ken Worthington

Thanks Ivory for the updates on these little guys' progress!

Handsome creatures

All the best

Jeff Boyardee

Love the pics, and the updates.

I hope to try breeding them someday, and you're making me impatient, lol.

IvoryReptiles

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Boyardee View Post
    Love the pics, and the updates.

I hope to try breeding them someday, and you're making me impatient, lol.
    I am used to working to get our breeders in the mood and then waiting for them to drop eggs, then waiting even more for the eggs to hatch.
    I promise you, if you do breed these guys, you won't have a chance to get impatient!!
    The eggs were laid in the morning, started hatching that same afternoon and, well....you've seen the progression pics. We started this adventure on the 14th of July and less than a month later, we have froglets!

I am used to waiting at the least, 2 months after eggs for a hatching........and when we bred our Veiled Chameleons it took 8 months to start seeing a hatchling and took a month for all 56 eggs to be done! Now THAT took patience!!

pacsack

Hey I was wandering what are you feeding your froglets? The little guy I just got seems to be afraid/uninterested in all the food items I have presented him with. Also how often do you feed your froglets? It could just be that my little guy is not hungry he had a rather large super worm the day I got him that he absolutely attacked. Basically, what I am asking is what would be an optimum food source for a pacman froglet that it would readily accept every time and how often should he get it? Ive never had a pacman froglet just sub adults

IvoryReptiles

Quote Originally Posted by pacsack View Post
    Hey I was wandering what are you feeding your froglets? The little guy I just got seems to be afraid/uninterested in all the food items I have presented him with. Also how often do you feed your froglets? It could just be that my little guy is not hungry he had a rather large super worm the day I got him that he absolutely attacked. Basically, what I am asking is what would be an optimum food source for a pacman froglet that it would readily accept every time and how often should he get it? Ive never had a pacman froglet just sub adults
    Try 2 to 3 small gut loaded & dusted crickets......maybe another super worm, or even small roaches. We offer them every day a food item, but they actually only eat every 2 to 3 days. We also offer them red wigglers and meal worms as well. We just found out that the tadpoles will readily eat the red wigglers.....they go all "Jaws" on them!
    We have an outdoor pond that was loaded with Gulf Coast Toad Tadpoles that we fed to the Pacman Tadpoles......and I am wondering if the frog-lets would enjoy some of those frog-lets since they predate on them in the wild. We will try it and let ya'll know!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information