Thread: HELP! My frog is bloated

Exclamation HELP! My frog is bloated

I observed weird behavior some days ago such as not eating and leaving her favorite place in the vivarium but now my doubts are confirmed: her whole body is bloated including her arms and chin. She is living with another frog and a toad. She is a gray tree frog and is about 2 years old. The vivarium is 60 gallons and the temperature is around 20 degrees. All my frogs eat the same thing, worms, crickets and other stuff. The two other frogs are not affected. What should I do??

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: HELP! My frog is bloated

I would take the frog out of a mixed tank and quarantine it. Try raising temperatures slightly higher to see if that helps. Also re look into the animals you keep with it, their suitability for cohabitation and make sure they are all captive bred as WC may pass disease. Most people are against mixing due to the implications it can have.

4. This member thanks jasonm96 for this post:

Thanks for your reply, I have actually took pictures of my frog, but I cannot figure how to post them (it says that its not a valid image). You can try this URl to see the picture (I hope it works): https://ibb.co/cYHAsa

She is also in quarantine as soon as I saw that she wasnt well.
    My other frogs never had any problem with my tree frog (they all have their habitats since its quite a big tank for their size). They have been together for more than 2 years.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]
    Blog Entries

This can be caused from absorbing toxins or waste, being exposed to temperatures too cool or warm and heart or kidney problems. From keeping him at 20C, this could possiblly do this as this is quite cool for them or absorbing toxins from other frogs in its tank. Most frogs are mildly toxic, so that is why mixing is not always a great idea. I've mixed before, but with red eyed tree frogs and anoles, so both are on different activity cycles and would generally stay away from each other. The problems with mixing frogs is that normally they are both nocturnal and share their water dish with each other and potentionally their toxins or disease. Many WC animals have natural pathogens which they are relatively immune to and are not normally harmful to them, but it can transmit to other tank inhabitants or become unbalanced under stress. I would warm it up to 24C at day and take it to a vet, it does look very severe I afraid.

7. This member thanks jasonm96 for this post:

Should I try to give her daily a bath of water mixed with epsom salt (a gallon and 1/2 teaspoon of the salt)?

They are nordic frogs, not tropical, so for the temperature, it's alright; but I can try to raise a little bit the temperature for her.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]
    Blog Entries

It's probably a trip to the vet if there's any chance of it recovering, I would say

20C is fine as a background temp, but would be better to have a warmer spot available during the day for thermoregulation, as this behaviour encourages good digestion and resistance to disease

Thread Information