Thread: False bottom.

Lordofthefrogs

Default False bottom.

How do i do this? i have an Exo-Terra 45x30x30 with an adult Whites Tree Frog living in their, how do i do a false floor/bottom and what are the advantages?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: False bottom.

I use plastic eggcrate and something like PVC pipe to elevated it above the bottom. I put screen on top and cover it with the substrate. If you want a water feature, say, in the front, make the false bottom smaller to leave room for the pool and allow the screen to overlap the side of the structure. For flowing water, I place a powerhead pump in the space beneath the eggcrate and run the tubing up to where the water is coming out, whether it be a drip wall, waterfall, or stream. Just make sure to design it so that you can get to the powerhead without having to tear everything out. I know that many folks here and on other sites have provided step by step photographed instructions.
    I used to think that I had to understand in order to believe, then I realized that I must believe in order to understand - Augustine

Lordofthefrogs

Quote Originally Posted by JimO View Post
    I use plastic eggcrate and something like PVC pipe to elevated it above the bottom. I put screen on top and cover it with the substrate. If you want a water feature, say, in the front, make the false bottom smaller to leave room for the pool and allow the screen to overlap the side of the structure. For flowing water, I place a powerhead pump in the space beneath the eggcrate and run the tubing up to where the water is coming out, whether it be a drip wall, waterfall, or stream. Just make sure to design it so that you can get to the powerhead without having to tear everything out. I know that many folks here and on other sites have provided step by step photographed instructions.
    Aaah i see.
    Thanks alot for the reply, i'll get somethin sorted

Nationality
    [Ireland]

Jim's approach is the normal way. I prefer to use LECA instead of egg crate - I find the egg crate unsightly.
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

Chopper Greg

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    Jim's approach is the normal way. I prefer to use LECA instead of egg crate - I find the egg crate unsightly.

Doesn't LECA also have the advantage of wicking moisture up from the bottom to the substrate?

Nationality
    [Ireland]

To a limited degree yes.
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    It's true that the eggcrate needs to be covered in some manner. LECA is a great way to go as well and I've used it in combination with some eggcrate in the center to have a larger overall volume of water in the system. All of my vivs have flowing water features and I have to balance the water flow, water storage volume, and water level in the system. If the water flow is too high for the storage volume, you will get lots of gurgling from the pump. If the water level is too high, it'll keep the substrate wet, which isn't good for certain frog species. If you just want enough water flow to keep it from getting stagnant, then the storage volume can be lower. The only disadvantage of LECA is that it displaces some water and reduces the storage volume.
    I used to think that I had to understand in order to believe, then I realized that I must believe in order to understand - Augustine

Thread Information