Thread: Forest Terrarium?

Default Forest Terrarium?

Iam thinking of re-using my 18x18x18 terrarium since I have not used it in a while. I was thinking Id make a nice set up. I even have all the supplies. My question is anyone have pictures to help me give an idea of a really nice set up? Iam thinking of getting a pair of fire bellied toads. I wanted one european and one oriental. Or some sort of treefrog. Any suggestions? Iam thinking of something that doesnt just hang out in the corner of the terrarium all day. I like ranids too. But I doubt I could keep one in a terrarium that size. Since most need a larger space.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Ireland]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Forest Terrarium?

Someone posted an awesome looking fire bellied toad set up recently - do a search.
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

bshmerlie

Deku, I just finished my fire belly tank which in the exact same size as yours just a little taller and with firebellies you don't really need height. I had a lot of fun using expanding foam and making my own waterfall and it didn't really cost that much. You can do a very elaborate background for less than $20 bucks. I also know that you are heavily into turtles so I'm sure you already have a spare filter sitting around you could use to keep the water clean. The only thing I would suggest is if you do a hand made background use the coco fibre instead of just regular dirt which you said you are fond of using in your setups. The coco fibre, believe it or not, is a very clean and uniform substrate and isn't that messy when you have water run over it. It's easy to vaccum up any loose particles just do it when its dry and you will find it easy. I bought the $10 bag and I used about a third of it so it doesn't take much. If you haven't tried doing something like this before give it a try. The foam cuts very easy with a knife so if you don't like something you can just trim it down and redo it the next day. Add sticks and rocks and have fun with it. The sheet moss I use looks like fine grass and make the hillside look real and adds color. Cut holes in the foam for plants and keep them in small pots so if they don't work out you can change them out. I put small peices of the sheet moss over the dirt on the plants and it keeps the soil from eroding if frogs or water pass over them. I used branches in my tank to give it depth but you really don't even have to do that for firebellies I just like the look. Any excess silicone easily scrapes off the glass with a new sharp razor blade so its easy to clean up anything you don't like. I also put a layer of black silcone on the back glass before I started so when I get bored with this setup I will just scrape it all off and start again. Its sometimes fun to go complex...have no fear and give it a try. The supplies are inexpensive so why not do it? Check out my picture of my new FB tank in my photo album and look at others not just on this website but there are many other sites with fantastic pictures for ideas and info. Google : terrariums, paludariums, ripariums, vivariums, aquascaping, aquatic plant supplies, and anything else along that line and you'll be amazed. You'll never go back to dirt and water bowl as we all seem to start out with.

Nationality
    [Ireland]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Yes that's who it was - sorry for forgetting bshmerlie!
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

I hate coco husk. It sticks to my hands and it doesnt come off even if I fling them off. SO Iam assuming it may bother the frogs too? Anywho. The background I was thinking id glue gravel or larger rounded river rocks. I guess its what I have lying around. But if I used coco husk as a background it would get mildew and all that fungus junk. Actually you are right I do have filters. But the ones I have are pumps, and powerheads. My other filter broke down. :/ So I need to get another whisper.

Thread Information