Thread: HELP - African Dwarf Frog Fungus Problem?

Nationality
    [United States]

Default HELP - African Dwarf Frog Fungus Problem?

Hey guys - new to the site, and new to keeping African Dwarf Frogs. I've had my new friends in a 20G tank with 2 Dwarf Gouramis for about 4 months. Last week the Gouramis started displaying signs of a internal parasitic infection, so I quarantined all of my animals and began treatment in case of any exposure. During this time I sanitized everything in the tank (gravel, decorations, plastic plants) with a 9:1 bleach solution as I was told by a variety of aquarium forums. The sterilized materials then soaked overnight in clean water with a heavy dose of dechlorinator. After a thorough rinse the following morning, I put everything back in the tank with a new filter, dosed with Seachem Stability (a bacterial starter for beneficial bacteria in the filter) and waited a day for the water parameters to settle. The next day, since the frogs were both looking fine (eating well and swimming) in quarantine, I put them back in the tank to help the filter cycle.

That evening, I noticed a white spot on the back of one of my ADFs and immediately transferred him back to quarantine. I began treating with API Turtle Fix (the only frog safe medication available at my local pet store). The white spot disappeared, and upon doing some research, I considered it a fluke, and continued treatment, but put him back in the main tank with the other ADF since I needed the heater back in the main tank. That evening both frogs shed their skin (which I hadn't seen before) in one large piece and the white spot was remaining underneath. The other ADF also appears to have a much smaller white spot on his back as well. After more research I don't think its Chytrid Fungus, but am new to keeping ADFs and am wondering how to proceed. Is this a fungal infection or a reaction to any residual bleach in the tank? What medications, if any can I use to help treat the white spots on their back? There aren't any available locally but would be open to ordering something online if someone with experience with ADFs thinks it would be beneficial.

I really look forward to hearing some of your opinions - any and all advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

Default Re: HELP - African Dwarf Frog Fungus Problem?

How long have you had the Gouramis" are there more in tank other than mentioned what are they"
    Whats the water temp
    Whats your weekly feeding cleaning regime" including how much how often both food and cleaning
    What are the normal water paramiters each/every week including nitrate/ph

Also please answer above same questions from when you added the ADF's

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

Default Re: HELP - African Dwarf Frog Fungus Problem?

The fact you waited 1 day for the water parameters to settle especially after steralizing" 1 day with beneficial bacteria then adding stock says you aint got A scooby doo wtf u doing!

How old are you and just how much are you willing to learn! 8

Thread Information