Thread: Recommended resources...?

Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

Default Recommended resources...?

Hi everybody. I am a newbie here in the forum but I am really excited to have discovered it and my new found interest in the world of frogs. I became interested in after chatting to a friend of a friend who keeps a variety of different species. I was immediately intrigued and she kindly invited me around so I could see what it was all about. Well, I made the decision almost immediately that keeping frogs is something I want to do as a hobby, and this forum has provided a wealth of info to help me work towards that. But I was wondering if there are any other resources out there that you would recommend? Are there any related magazines or podcasts? I particularly like digital magazines as I can then read them on my tablet? Are there any in any of the app stores? I have also been looking at the various frog related books that are available online. So many to choose from! But are there any in particular that you would single out as superior reading? Any Youtube channels iI should be following. I want to arm myself with as much info before moving forward and making any purchases. I think that is the only responsible thing to do if you are keeping animals as pets. Anyway, apologies for brain dumping here on the forum. But any pointers that anybody can offer will be much appreciated. Cheers.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Recommended resources...?

Hey Axel

Most mags i've read have either been hit or miss and mostly a miss in terms of quality and they often leave out a lot of info out to fit into a small article. I would just go with books which you'll find more detailed overall care and that they're more likely to be written by experts than novice authors. However, subscribing to something like reptiles magazine or practical pet keeping is never a bad idea for some additional info. Some good books are: breeding terrarium animals by elke zimmerman, amphibians in captivity by marc staniszewski, popular amphibians by philippe de vosjoli, popular tree frogs by philippe de vosjoli, bob mailloux and drew ready, the proper care of amphibians by john coborn... but there's plenty of species specific books on horned frogs, dart frogs, mantellasc, etc.

Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

Default Re: Recommended resources...?

Quote Originally Posted by Axel View Post
    Hi everybody. I am a newbie here in the forum but I am really excited to have discovered it and my new found interest in the world of frogs. I became interested in after chatting to a friend of a friend who keeps a variety of different species. I was immediately intrigued and she kindly invited me around so I could see what it was all about. Well, I made the decision almost immediately that keeping frogs is something I want to do as a hobby, and this forum has provided a wealth of info to help me work towards that. But I was wondering if there are any other resources out there that you would recommend? Are there any related magazines or podcasts? I particularly like digital magazines as I can then read them on my tablet? Are there any in any of the app stores? I have also been looking at the various frog related books online at http://www.for-sale.co.uk/. So many to choose from! But are there any in particular that you would single out as superior reading? Any Youtube channels iI should be following. I want to arm myself with as much info before moving forward and making any purchases. I think that is the only responsible thing to do if you are keeping animals as pets. Anyway, apologies for brain dumping here on the forum. But any pointers that anybody can offer will be much appreciated. Cheers.
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonm96 View Post
    Hey Axel

Most mags i've read have either been hit or miss and mostly a miss in terms of quality and they often leave out a lot of info out to fit into a small article. I would just go with books which you'll find more detailed overall care and that they're more likely to be written by experts than novice authors. However, subscribing to something like reptiles magazine or practical pet keeping is never a bad idea for some additional info. Some good books are: breeding terrarium animals by elke zimmerman, amphibians in captivity by marc staniszewski, popular amphibians by philippe de vosjoli, popular tree frogs by philippe de vosjoli, bob mailloux and drew ready, the proper care of amphibians by john coborn... but there's plenty of species specific books on horned frogs, dart frogs, mantellasc, etc.
    Thank for the pointers, Jason. I'll take a look at the books you suggested. I hear what you're saying about magazines. The info can tend to be a bit watered down. I'll stick to the books.

5. This member thanks Axel for this post:

Thread Information