Thread: American Toad, Medical Emergency

Exclamation American Toad, Medical Emergency

Hi,
    I just joined the forum today, mainly because of my problem. I've kept many amphibians over the years, but only recently acquired a juvenile American Toad. He is about 1 and 1/2 inches long and pretty round. I keep him in a small glass terrarium by himself with a water bowl and feed him small mealworms every other day or so. Lately, I noticed that he (I don't actually know the gender), seemed very weak and lethargic. When I picked him up, he fell over and seemed to seize or shake, for lack of a better description. I did some digging and decided it was MBD due to vitamin D deficiency, I wasn't giving him any calcium along with his diet though he gets regular sunlight. I started supplementing and dusting his worms as well as giving him a bottle cap of calcium, but he isn't improving. I think he might actually be worse. Today I examined him and found what looks like a possible infection on his stomach (looks like a pus-filled circle, not like his poison sacks). I will post a picture when possible. Does anyone know what I should do? Is euthanizing him the only option? He is young and eats well but can't walk or stand up easily.
    Thank you.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Default Re: American Toad, Medical Emergency

Update: I moved him to a plastic tub with a bottom of paper towels and two water bowls. It is currently in half sunlight.

Nationality
    [United States]

Hello... I wouldn't put him down...
    most people here would probably tell you to bring him to a herp vet to be treated.. What I would do, is get as many vitamins and minerals in him as fast as possible. It sounds like he isn't just calcium and vit d3 deficient, but deficient in just about everything.
    I suggest getting this https://www.vitacost.com/morningstar...WWsxoCNi3w_wcB , put it in his water bowl with his water (make sure his water is clean and non chlorinated, like city tap water is). Also get him some other kinds of food, like crickets, and gut load them before feeding them to your toad. Hopefully it's not too late for him, and he'll come out of this

Quote Originally Posted by Sarah03110 View Post
    Hello... I wouldn't put him down...
    most people here would probably tell you to bring him to a herp vet to be treated.. What I would do, is get as many vitamins and minerals in him as fast as possible. It sounds like he isn't just calcium and vit d3 deficient, but deficient in just about everything.
    I suggest getting this https://www.vitacost.com/morningstar...WWsxoCNi3w_wcB , put it in his water bowl with his water (make sure his water is clean and non chlorinated, like city tap water is). Also get him some other kinds of food, like crickets, and gut load them before feeding them to your toad. Hopefully it's not too late for him, and he'll come out of this
    Thank you! I'll check that out and see if I can order some. I use non-chlorinated drinking water in his bowls. I can pick up crickets tomorrow and I have some Flukers gel to gut load them. Would a pedialyte soak be okay for him?

Nationality
    [United States]

Do you mean those flukers orange cubes? You can give him Pedialyte for now, but it doesn't compare to the other stuff in the link I gave you, which has a ton of minerals and nutrients in it. Pedialyte just has a few electrolytes in it as far as I know.
    Also, I wanted to add that unlike reptiles, toads don't typically bask in the sun to absorb D3, so they would probably rely on their food for d3.

Do you mean those flukers orange cubes? You can give him Pedialyte for now, but it doesn't compare to the other stuff in the link I gave you, which has a ton of minerals and nutrients in it. Pedialyte just has a few electrolytes in it as far as I know.
    Also, I wanted to add that unlike reptiles, toads don't typically bask in the sun to absorb D3, so they would probably rely on their food for d3.
    Thanks again, I'll order the supplement and see if that helps out. And yes, the Flukers gel is the orange cubes that come in a clear jar.

The toad seems to be doing a little better, moving around and eating well. Thank you for the help.

Emergency; toad just started seizing pretty badly, I'm really worried about him. Can I give him a soak with something? I have calcium supplement, can I mix it with warm water and let him sit in it for a while? Please help

Nationality
    [United States]

Yes I don't see why not, just don't make it too warm

Nationality
    [United States]

It would be good if you have some magnesium to add to the soak. It should help calm the twitching and aid in absorption of the calcium

It would be good if you have some magnesium to add to the soak. It should help calm the twitching and aid in absorption of the calcium
    Thank you, I did the soak but he doesn't look much better today though the seizures stopped. Should I buy a magnesium supplement for the water or is there some everyday item that contains it I can use?

Nationality
    [United States]

There is Epson salt, although it's not the best form of magnesium.. But It would probably still be better than nothing. The one supplement I showed you has it in it though.
    If you do use Epson salt, just use a tiny bit, you don't want to over dose it. I'll let you know if I think of something else

There is Epson salt, although it's not the best form of magnesium.. But It would probably still be better than nothing. The one supplement I showed you has it in it though.
    If you do use Epson salt, just use a tiny bit, you don't want to over dose it. I'll let you know if I think of something else
    I do have Epsom salt, I'll try it. Thank you.

Just wanted to update:
    My toad passed away last night even after repeated soaks and assist feeding calcium dusted foods. I think by the time I noticed that his lethargy was more than winter sluggishness it was too late. Thanks everyone for the help, now I know to dust my four toadlets' food.

Nationality
    [United States]

Oh, I'm sorry :-( I was hoping it wasn't too late.. Thanks for the update tho

Thread Information