Hi,
I just joined the forum today, mainly because of my problem. I've kept many amphibians over the years, but only recently acquired a juvenile American Toad. He is about 1 and 1/2 inches long and pretty round. I keep him in a small glass terrarium by himself with a water bowl and feed him small mealworms every other day or so. Lately, I noticed that he (I don't actually know the gender), seemed very weak and lethargic. When I picked him up, he fell over and seemed to seize or shake, for lack of a better description. I did some digging and decided it was MBD due to vitamin D deficiency, I wasn't giving him any calcium along with his diet though he gets regular sunlight. I started supplementing and dusting his worms as well as giving him a bottle cap of calcium, but he isn't improving. I think he might actually be worse. Today I examined him and found what looks like a possible infection on his stomach (looks like a pus-filled circle, not like his poison sacks). I will post a picture when possible. Does anyone know what I should do? Is euthanizing him the only option? He is young and eats well but can't walk or stand up easily.
Thank you.