Thread: Albino African Clawed Frog died this morning, what from? Pics included

Default Albino African Clawed Frog died this morning, what from? Pics included

About a week ago, my African Clawed Frog became lethargic, always staying at the top of the tank, not eating. I've had him for 6 years, and he's never acted like this. I thought he was just going through something, but it went on for about 3 days, so I looked up about it. It seemed like it was a PH problem, so I got the water tested, and the PH was high. I swapped him into his old tank that he did well in, and he started acting normal again, eating and all.

I got the PH down in my other tank the other day and put him back in. He was acting much better than he was, but this morning, 2 days after putting him back into the tank, I found him dead. He was acting fine last night, I don't get it and am devastated. It looks like he had flesh from his front right arm peeled off or something, which makes me think it might've been Red Leg, but I never saw a lot of red on his leg or anywhere else... I actually found some skin or something floating in his tank a few months ago, but only found this 2 or 3 times, and he acted normal so I didn't really think anything of it. Also, the tanks temperature was always around 73 degrees.

Here's a link to imgur, I uploaded a few pics of him. Maybe you can see what was wrong?

http://imgur.com/a/B95iY

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: Albino African Clawed Frog died this morning, what from? Pics included

It might have not be skin, but fungus!

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

Default Re: Albino African Clawed Frog died this morning, what from? Pics included

Why should the water PH be so high* what was your feeding cleaning schedule and what water conditioners did you use,

Quote Originally Posted by craig121 View Post
    Why should the water PH be so high* what was your feeding cleaning schedule and what water conditioners did you use,
    No idea why the PH was so high. I had him in a 2.5 gallon tank I think it was for a while, and about a month ago went and bought a 10 gallon tank kit for him. I filled this new tank with the same water I'd always fill the old one with, and used the conditioner that came with the kit.

I have always fed him frog pellets daily. I would change the whole 2.5 gallon tank about every 4 days, then once I got the 10 gallon for him I'd do a 25% water change every week, and had a filter for it. I would never clean out any uneaten pellets, as they'd fall down into the gravel. I assumed he'd just find and eat them.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

Am not condeming you but its quite possible the tank was at the lowest limits to capacity the frog
    General rule min 10gal per frog but thats with strict feed and clean regime" the gravel should be hoovered almostEvery other day or dont bother with gravel" the filter should only be rinsed out with old tank water during each water
    change" its a shame whats happened if you managed 6 yrs you certainly were not neglecting the froggy but sometimes
    the tank just gets over challenged then the bad bacteria arrive then the issues
    Last edited by craig121; April 19th, 2017 at 06:51 AM.

Thread Information