Thread: Coco fibre background

Default Coco fibre background

I am thinking of using coco fibre matting, used for hanging baskets and such, as a background for my tank for mainly, probably, creeping fig to attach to in this tank, but definitely other plants in the next tanks. I purchased a flat circular piece but have since discovered it has latex thru it. [emoji53] (I would, as a side note, like to know if latex is bad in vivs?)

But I can buy it as what looks like a latex free roll, which is great! I just want to know if anyone has done this or whether there is any reason that I haven't found yet that it would be unsuitable to use in a viv?

I thought of reinforcing it with some twine, or what would be thinner and less noticeable is waxed cotton I have for leatherwork. Would this be suitable in a viv as well? It would just ensure it doesn't pull away or fall apart, as I guess its not designed for this purpose of vertical attachment and some weight bearing of climbing plants.
    I would do a rough 1-2in stitch in rows to reinforce it lightly.

Any help is greatly appreciated! [emoji3]

Sent from my R5 using Tapatalk

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: Coco fibre background

I don't think it's bad either way, latex or not. I just might be a little cautious if the latex is fresh from the factory or has been sealed up in a bag. Rubber and plastics can have things in them that need time to "gas off" after manufacture.

As for how you hold it up..... I've never done anything with it other than see my wife use it in hanging baskets, so what you've said sounds good to me.

Quote Originally Posted by privet01 View Post
    I don't think it's bad either way, latex or not. I just might be a little cautious if the latex is fresh from the factory or has been sealed up in a bag. Rubber and plastics can have things in them that need time to "gas off" after manufacture.

As for how you hold it up..... I've never done anything with it other than see my wife use it in hanging baskets, so what you've said sounds good to me.
    Thanks privet01,

I've read good and bad about coco fibre matting now, it seems it may not stand the test of time very well, and will rot or break away. Reinforcing it would help with breaking away though, but I'm not really sure why it would rot? The latex covered fibre apparently lasts longer, I guess that'd be why they cover it with latex. Do your wife's plants need repotting because of the coco fibre rotting?
    I have a piece of the latex covered fibre that I cut off the mat, and its been sitting in a cup of water for a few days now. I expected the water would travel up the coco fibre but it hasn't budged!! So its pretty weird!

Sent from my R5 using Tapatalk

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Calayvie View Post
    Do your wife's plants need repotting because of the coco fibre rotting?
    It eventually rots. But it takes several years when used in the hanging baskets as an outer layer. The coco fibers don't seem to soak up water at all under normal conditions. So water essentially just runs right off of it. But once it does start soaking up water, it doesn't give it up very easily either. That's when rot starts.

So if it is not going to be constantly in water, I think you are okay.

Thread Information