Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Uh Oh. Gonna have babies

Nationality
    [Afghanistan]

Default Re: Uh Oh. Gonna have babies

Thanks for sharing! Your tank is really pleasant to watch. Love the mini ecosystem

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

well, the hatching appears to be over. maybe a hundred clinger tadpoles. impossible to count accurately. almost all of the eggs hatched.
    my tank will be swarming with activity in a few weeks.
    good lord so many little ones.

it'll take some time to figure it all out but if my internet connection is good enough, i hope to put up a frog tank webcam soon.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

well, there are no more clingers tadpoles as of yesterday. they are all swimmer tadpoles now and all eating constantly.

food:
    I toss a few leaves of spinach into a pan of boiling water, wilt it, then the spinach goes into the tank. When the spinach is gone, more.
    I still have a few shrimp tablets from when i bought the cherry shrimp. I throw in two tabs at a time. When the tabs are gone, more.
    The tads also spend lots of time eating the algae off the glass.
    They spend time chowing on the slime on the bottom of the tank.

later on as more spinach gets eaten, I can expect my pump intake filter to become quickly clogged with green foul smelling goo.

now when a frog 'startles' and swims and hides in the bottom of the tank, it ends up disturbing a handful of tadpoles, who go swimming and end up disturbing more tadpoles. very very active tank with about 12 large tadpoles and maybe 75 small ones. everyone seems super healthy and active so far, and developing quite fast.

it is interesting to me that as soon as the tadpoles start eating, they also develop a 'gulp a bubble of air at the surface, then swim down and let it go' behavior.

no webcam for now. but later i will post more movies.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

I cannot promise how long this will last...but I think I got it working:

LIVE video of my frog tank on YouTube!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YuHdSE6YCA0

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

One thing i've noticed about the tadpoles...when they get large enough, they eat all the snail eggs they can find.

The tadpole poop, after a snail egg meal, ends up just like a string of eggs.

The snails are going to have a hard time in the coming weeks.
    good.

If I know my fat female frog, she's not done laying eggs yet. But she's not quite ready for a new batch either. Like last year, I expect the later batches to get worse and worse as far as viability...i hope...

The live video goes down now and then, I put it back up when I can. I watch it from work, and I also record it. There's a few things I caught today that I should edit into a video. Although it's mainly a tadpole cam, there is some serious frog on frog :O action once in a while.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

the biggest tadpoles now have tiny little back legs just budding out from the base of their tail. super cute little tiny legs. soon they will be kicking around rather than just swimming. next is the front legs.

very soon i will need a supply of flies. its probably time to set up an area of the house for fly breeding and put in an order to Josh's.

the amount of food my tank eats is through the roof. today i noticed that the pump barely works at all. intake filter completely clogged. replaced intake filter and now i'm back to full flow. fortunately, the filters inside of the pump itself do not clog like that and I can leave my pump alone...otherwise i would constantly have to crack it open and wring out the filters. There is a great deal of ammonia and nitrite to process, i'm sure!

My frog tank video for your viewing pleasure:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTz...0UzlVeMRg/live

Nationality
    [Afghanistan]

So cool! I checked in on. Your tank earlier today. Thanks for setting that up. It’s really fascinating.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

I think I found the magic command line option that keeps the live stream going. Previously, it would stop within about an hour of me starting it up.

They are all doing great!

Maybe in the evening, I can switch the video to a night vision top-view.

11. This member thanks alane for this post:

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

The biggest tadpoles now have little 'nubs' where their front legs will emerge. Their rear legs have emerged and are growing and i've seen them kick once in a while. They still swim side-to-side with their tail, and they are all eating constantly.
    The more numerous smaller tadpoles have yet to sprout legs.
    And i'm wondering if another batch of eggs is going to be laid.

I am almost through a one pound bag of spinach.

I have not seen a dead tadpole yet. Last year, occasionally, one would 'burst open' and that's that.

Unfortunately, the snails are also getting lots of food, so i'm getting lots of snails.

I changed the tank water yesterday and it's very difficult to siphon five gallons of water and not suck up at least one tadpole. The one that went through the siphon tube was a very large one and he even got stuck at one point, willy wonka style. But it went through and I netted it back into the tank.
    The waste water was quite green in color, cause by the spinach.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

One of the tadpoles is far more advanced than the rest. It has fully formed front and rear legs and is now 'emerging'. It spends its time near the surface, breathing air most of the time now.

It's also way smaller than it's peers. This particular tadpole decided to stop eating early and develop quick. super micro froglet.

i'm going to be getting the 'hydei' flies. those will be a mouthful for a frog this small but i think they can do it!

what the heck am i going to do with this many frogs? thats what i said last year and i kept them all. well this year i cannot do that. i suppose i need to post a for-sale message in the appropriate forum.

14. This member thanks alane for this post:

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

here is a photo of the first toadlet to emerge. the little one is many many days ahead of the rest.

Name:  emerged_toad.jpg
Views: 151
Size:  214.3 KB

you cannot see it in this photo but the little one still has quite a tail.

i believe he has been 'nipped' at by hungry adults. as the toadlet emerges at the margin of the water, it can be very tempting for a nearby frog to strike.
    but these frogs have no teeth and although i've seen them get another frog, it always gets coughed back up in short order.
    amazingly, even with the adults, they seem to emerge just fine in this tank.

i expect the bulk of this froglets egg-batch siblings to emerge in about a week, so far ahead is this one toadlet. amazing that one decided to develop real fast.

it takes so long for their skin to develop. the full-adults have a fairly coarse pattern to their bumps. the sub-adults still have a more fine-grained texture. the babies, in comparison, are gelatinous.
    Last edited by alane; April 29th, 2018 at 01:08 PM.

Nationality
    [Afghanistan]

This is really fascinating. I love the pic of the froglet - too cute. Look forward to seeing the rest of the clutch emerge.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

now every time i visit my tank, i count the little frogs.

each time, i count more. it is the week of mass emergence.

lol.

fire belly toads have little white dots at the tip of their toes, even as adults. they have this coloration from the very beginning. you can kind of see in the photo how the very tips of the froglets toes are white. for some reason, this seems super cute. i'll try to highlight it in a photo later on.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

a dozen emerged tiny toadlets. they huddle in groups and have found their safe spots in the tank. most have tail remnants.

i wave something in front of the most advanced toadlet. it snaps at it. little tiny froggy is ready to eat flies. i have nothing for him today...

good thing that i ordered melanogaster flies and they are arriving tomorrow.

I wonder how to get a video of them eating flies. It's a challenge as the toadlets are so small!

my scheme is to feed the adults first and try to get them all full of crickets...so that the flies end up going mostly to the little tykes.

the small toadlets seem so small and fragile that an adult could easily screw one up. but i've never seen that happen. worst i've seen is a froglet getting snapped at...then getting spit back out unharmed. these frogs have no teeth, nor do they clamp down hard. so even if one does a mistake and eats a baby, it all ends well...so far anyway.

so far, literally 100% viability.

i gotta find homes for some of these subadults or i gotta start a second tank.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread Information