Thread: HELP! Stomach sticking out/moss stuck in it.

Default HELP! Stomach sticking out/moss stuck in it.

Hello this is my first time keeping anything besides fish so I'm a little new/worried, I got a pacman frog about a week and a half ago and he's been fine so far but after I turned out the light I look in his enclosure and see what looks like his tongue sticking out with some moss on it. So i rinsed my hands in lukewarm dechlorinated water and went to get the moss off when i realized it wasn't stuck on it, it was inside of it, I am pretty sure it is his stomach sticking out! The moss wont come out either and I don't want to pull hard enough where I hurt him. What should I do?? How long can he survive like this?? Any and all answers are appreciated.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Default Re: HELP! Stomach sticking out/moss stuck in it.

Okay so somehow he got it back in and he's been fine for the past few days. My roommate texted me this morning telling me he saw it happen again and sent me a picture but when I got back he was fine again. Any advice? I try to keep his tank around 70-80% humidity but that drops because I'm gone from the house most of the day to about 60 which I have been trying to fix. Temp is usually around 80 during the day cycle, I have 50W basking lamp and a UVB bulb during the day. It drops to about 71-72 at night which I heard is fine. Any thoughts are appreciated.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Bath him in lukewarm water to make sure any ingested moss is passed. If moss is down it's throats then you could try opening his mouth with a spoon and use tongs to slowly pull it out. His stomach sticking out? Hmm, trip to the vets then unfortunately!

Moss is not the best substrate, coco fibre is better. Sphagnum moss can be used but must be kept moist as it pats down well then, feeding by tongs is recommended.

I would ditch the basking light as they don't really bask in local hot spots, so a heat bulb (standard round incandescent bulb) offers a more wider and less intense beam of heat; it warms the air more than just one spot of the tank.

Nationality
    [Canada]

Hello and sorry to hear your frogs not well. If your frogs stomach is coming up you need to stop feeding till he goes to the bathroom, they usually do this when they are full to the tilt or if they have worms. So he is either full, and by the sounds of it this could be the problem or he has worms that you will need meds for from a vet. My guess is while trying to catch his food hes ingested a fair bit of moss and that's why when his stomach came out you were able to see moss. You need to go to a vet, and I will be honest even then I don't know if he will make it much longer. Most times a frog does this there isn't a very high survival rate. And if hes done it again it could be because he still hasn't got the excess food and moss out, or when his stomach went back in the first time it didn't go back into the right position. If It happens again from my understanding the best thing you can do is try to hold his mouth open till he pulls his stomach back in so he doesn't bite down on it causing more damage, or just leave him to do it himself. All and all I really think a vet visit would be the best thing.

Thread Information