Thread: UVB lighting Fire bellied toads!!!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default UVB lighting Fire bellied toads!!!

I would like to know people opinions on UVB lighting for frogs and whats best or pics of what your using and what you like to use

Default Re: UVB lighting Fire bellied toads!!!

No one has any good advice for what UVB light they like to use with there FBTS? I see a lot of viewings.. Help a person out isn't this what this forum is for ??

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

PM'd you. My set up would be no use as the lights are inside the tank in the special hood and not ontop. I use a 2% inside the tank, which is the same as a 5% over the top of the mesh

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

I just use two T8 fluorecent tubes in a fixture for my viv. I know from the manufacturers information that they also provide UVb. But the cost of the specialty UVb tubes in the petstore have come down quite a bit so the cost is not that much different anymore so I may likely just replace them with these when the time comes.................https://www.amazon.com/Exo-Terra-Rep...+reptile+light

Flurescents should be changed out yearly. Every six months will be better. They do loose overall light producing ability as they age.

As my FBT's are in a 10 gallon tank, I don't think there is a need for a separate basking light. there are different elevations in the viv where they can get closer to the light if they choose.

5. This member thanks privet01 for this post:

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Based on recommendations from this forum, I switched to a "reptisun 10.0" and got rid of the LED lighting.

This is probably a little on the heavy side, I might be able to get away with a 5.0. But I went with what the store had. My frogs are about 13 inches from the top of the aquarium, often in the water, and also often in shade.

Seems to work; I can see a bit of fluorescence as if I had turned on a black light.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]
    Blog Entries

At distance of 13" it's not much less UVB than what you'd give a beardie. When using over 5% with frogs it's a good idea to check on the box for the exact amount of UVB it puts out per distance or contact the manufacturer to see what they recommended and if they can tell you if it's not on the box. Infact it's always a good idea to know at least roughly how much exposure your tube puts out as the potency or danger comes with distance, and has to be adjusted with higher or lower rated tubes. Handheld solarmeters are sold for this purpose but these are very expensive and not worth it for small collections. Arcadia do good UVBs and are patricially clued up on exactly what they're products do and how to use them.

Thread Information