Thread: Is something wrong with this tadpole?

Malinda

Question Is something wrong with this tadpole?

Five of my original nine tadpoles have morphed. One of the four remaining tads died last week. He had developed his back legs seemed to be doing well then one morning when I went to feed them he was dead. Two others have back legs and you can see they are growing but the last one seems almost unchanged from when we first collected them. A couple of weeks ago I noticed the bigger tads picking on the small one so I separated him from the others. Could this tad have some kind of defect that prevents it from maturing? Could it possibly be a different kind of tadpole? It has always been smaller and paler in color than the others which are Gray Tree Frogs.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Ireland]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Is something wrong with this tadpole?

Did the front legs pop on the one that died? If so then it could have drowned. As for the slow developing tadpole, this is typical - you will always get a few really slow growers and some really fast ones.
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

Malinda

Default Re: Is something wrong with this tadpole?

Glad to hear my little tad is probably just a late bloomer. As for the poor little guy who died he didn't have his front legs. Some other questions are about the frogs growth rate and the size difference I have because my frogs are morphing at different times. The 2 oldest frogs are about 21/2 weeks older than the other 3 and by the looks of the other tadpoles I think it could be another few weeks before the others change. The oldest ones are about twice the size of the other 3. I would eventually like to keep all eight of them in the same terrarium. How long before their growth slows down and the younger ones catch up? Is it even a good idea to keep 8 frogs together? And if it's ok to do would a 18x18x24 terrarium give them enough room. It would be easier for me to keep them all together but I want to do what is best for the frogs. Thank for the help!

Thread Information