Thread: Green Tree Frog can't climb, crawling on the floor of tank, almost motionless

Default Green Tree Frog can't climb, crawling on the floor of tank, almost motionless

I've had my tree frog for about 2 months now (named Baron Von Ribbitstein) and in just one day it goes from climbing all over the walls to crawling around on the floor of the tank. He/she will try to climb the wall but can't even leave the ground and sometimes will just fall over on its back until I roll it over. It does seem determined to climb though. Its color goes from maybe a palish green to a healthy looking dark green to a yellowish green. Maybe I'm a idiot for thinking I can care for a frog in my unorganized hustle of a life I live. I can't figure out its sex, I don't know its age. I try to feed it as often as possible but any sliver of a decent pet store is a freaking hike to the moon and back and no crickets survive a day in my house. Every time I get to feed it I dust the crickets with a good bit of calcium. There are crickets in the cage now but I don't think he/she is eating them. I clean the water dish maybe every other day. I can get the humidity up to 60% maybe 70% but will drop to 20% in an hour. The temperature of the tank is just under 80 during the day and a little over 60 at night. The tank I'm using is a 12l 12w 18h vertical tank (I CANNOT find anything bigger) with a small 50w day heat lamp and small 50w night heat lamp. Do I NEED a UV bulb cause that won't fit on top of the cage. What CAN I do to help my frog? Or do I just let the good gods take my frog and never care for a cold blooded friend again?

PS. As I wrote this my frog made it a few inches off the ground climbing the wall and then went to its water dish and perched itself of the edge.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Green Tree Frog can't climb, crawling on the floor of tank, almost motionless

20% humidity? Severely dehydrated would be my guess: use an automatic misting system or fogger set at 70%. Temps should be in the low to mid 70sF at day. Be careful, a 50W heat lamp is probably going to be too high and too intense for your frog in the enclosure you have. Maybe this is the cause of low humidity. I would only use a 25W. What with and where about are you measuring temps?

I would always use and recommend UVB for small frogs. It's unlikely they would find a dietary source of D3 in the wild. Supplements sometimes can cater for this but it's not very natural. With supplements the key word is in the name "supplement" not to be solely relied upon in most cases.

You should be able change the health of your frog by correcting conditions ASAP, particularly humidity and your frog could live it's full life. To increase humidity you could cover half the screen top with glass, add some sphagnum moss and a larger water dish. But do this only for a tempoerary measure until you get a humidity system as tree frogs do best with good ventilation. Change water bowls daily.

4. This member thanks jasonm96 for this post:

Thread Information