Thread: Female ADF hiding from Male ADF?

Default Female ADF hiding from Male ADF?

Characters to my story/question:

-Dhalsim- a female survivor frog. Been living in the tank for almost 2 months.
    -E-Honda- a female frog who mysteriously died a few days after Vega was introduced.
    -Vega- a horny male frog that has only been in the tank for a week.

I had a tank with 2 female ADFs named Dhalsim and E-Honda. They used to hang out together, such as going in the cave together and sticking close together most of the time.

Then last week I introduced a third ADF, a male named Vega, to the tank. Everything seemed fine at first. On the third night, I caught Vega singing and then he tried to go after Dhalsim. Dhalsim fought him off and went to hide.

Two days ago, E-Honda died. I'm not sure what happened but I found her laying on her back that morning. The male frog, Vega, was nipping at her corspe...

Ever since then, I've noticed Dhalsim is always hiding. She's either hiding behind the filter, floating at water level, or staying under a rock. I think she is trying to hide from Vega.

Just a few hours ago, I saw Vega and Dhalsim on the same side of the tank. I saw Vega charge at Dhalsim again, and Dhalsim instantly swam up to the surface and started floating so she could avoid Vega. She's been hiding behind the filter for the last 3 hours.

Is this normal? I thought ADFs were friendly and peaceful. Dhalsim does not seem to be interested in being friends with Vega at all.... whereas before, Dhalsim hung out with E-Honda.

Is it because Dhalsim doesn't want to mate so she feels harassed? Or is Vega too aggressive?

Is it possible that Vega killed E-Honda? I had to double check to make sure Vega is a dwarf frog and not a clawed frog. He is indeed a dwarf frog. If he isn't aggressive, why did one female die and the other is constantly scared/annoyed and hiding since his arrival?

-------

5.5 gallon tank

Filtered
    Water treated with Seachemprime
    Heated to 82 degrees
    PH 7.5
    Tested no ammonia, nitrate, nitrite
    Stocked with 2 ADFs and 1black mystery snail
    The ADFs and snails were all purchased from Petco between 1-2 months ago

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thread Information