Thread: Question: Square shaped tanks, or rectangular tanks?

Nationality
    [Canada]

Exclamation Question: Square shaped tanks, or rectangular tanks?

Hi, I've been saving up my money for quite a while now for a new enclosure for my frog.
    Any ideas, recommendations? (Im aware of 10 gal tanks, just asking opinions)

Should I dust my pinkies?

Recommend a thermometer?

Ideas for the new enclosure overall? (plants, water dish, lamp, hides, anything!​)

All input is appreciated!

Sorry for the short post, just had some questions.
    while ( ! ( succeed = try() ) );

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Canada]

Default Re: Question: Square shaped tanks, or rectangular tanks?

Hi, for the enclosure if its going to be his permanent home you may want to look into something around the 20 gallon long size or its equivalent in an Exo Terra enclosure. All though they say they can be housed in 10 gallons if you have a nice size female or male they will really appreciate the extra space of the 20. I have never used the Exo Terras myself but i really like they are designed to give more width from front to back, it gives you more room to place water dishes, plants etc. And when misting its a pain when you have to take the top off because you lose heat fast unless really quick, were as with front opening doors of a Exo Terras prevents this from happening. You still lose some heat i guess but with warm air riseing you lose it faster takeing off a lid. I dust my pinkies but only dip there but in the vitamins, for a thermometer I use infrared and have Hygrotherms that keep my heat in in check so for a thermometer i will let someone else help with that. And for ideas for what to put in it i would keep it pretty simple, water dish a plant and maybe a nice size hide or even just a couple big plants. My guys really like to bury and chill under there plants.

Nationality
    [Canada]

Quote Originally Posted by monster View Post
    Hi, for the enclosure if its going to be his permanent home you may want to look into something around the 20 gallon long size or its equivalent in an Exo Terra enclosure. All though they say they can be housed in 10 gallons if you have a nice size female or male they will really appreciate the extra space of the 20. I have never used the Exo Terras myself but i really like they are designed to give more width from front to back, it gives you more room to place water dishes, plants etc. And when misting its a pain when you have to take the top off because you lose heat fast unless really quick, were as with front opening doors of a Exo Terras prevents this from happening. You still lose some heat i guess but with warm air riseing you lose it faster takeing off a lid. I dust my pinkies but only dip there but in the vitamins, for a thermometer I use infrared and have Hygrotherms that keep my heat in in check so for a thermometer i will let someone else help with that. And for ideas for what to put in it i would keep it pretty simple, water dish a plant and maybe a nice size hide or even just a couple big plants. My guys really like to bury and chill under there plants.
    If I get the Hygrotherm (I already have a heat matt) and the Exo Terra tank, does that mean I should not need my heat lamps anymore? Or should I keep them readily expressible in case?

EDIT: Hygrometer is a little bit on the pricey side, incase I don't decide to get this particular thermostat, is there any alternatives?
    Last edited by Brandonnn; January 2nd, 2017 at 07:19 PM. Reason: Hygrotherm Cst.

Nationality
    [Canada]

Yes you would still need your heat sources. What it does is lets you plug your heat source into it then you program it to were you want your temps and it wont let it go over that temp. It also has a night time setting so it will do the night temp drop for you. If you had a fogger you can program it were you would want your humidity set and it would turn your fogger on once it drops below a certain point then shuts off again when it reaches were you set it at. The best way to describe it is it will act like the thermostat on your wall that controls your furnace. There is other ones that aren't as much that only control heat but to be honest I cant name a good one off the top of my head because I have always just used the Zoo Med Hygrotherms. Hopefully someone else sees this and they should be able to point to good one.

6. This member thanks monster for this post:

Nationality
    [Canada]

Quote Originally Posted by monster View Post
    Yes you would still need your heat sources. What it does is lets you plug your heat source into it then you program it to were you want your temps and it wont let it go over that temp. It also has a night time setting so it will do the night temp drop for you. If you had a fogger you can program it were you would want your humidity set and it would turn your fogger on once it drops below a certain point then shuts off again when it reaches were you set it at. The best way to describe it is it will act like the thermostat on your wall that controls your furnace. There is other ones that aren't as much that only control heat but to be honest I cant name a good one off the top of my head because I have always just used the Zoo Med Hygrotherms. Hopefully someone else sees this and they should be able to point to good one.
    Thanks, I know all of that stuff, I just didn't explain myself enough lol, my bad, sorry.

What I meant is: Can I remove my heat lamps and JUST keep my heat matt under the tank, and that should keep it warm enough? Or is it a good idea to keep the combo thing going?

EDIT: sorry i didnt explain myself enough lol

Nationality
    [Canada]

Hey sorry I didn't answer this earlier but I have had a busy couple days. Yes you would still need your heat sources, especially if your going up in size of enclosure. You may even need to up the wattage of the lamp because now you will be heating a larger area. But that you wont know till you have the bigger enclosure and are able to see if you will be ok or not. And for the if I got a hygrotherm would I still need the lamp the answer would be yes again, it doesn't create heat its just a really high tech thermometer that keeps everything in check for ya IMO.

Thread Information