Thread: Possible Bloat in ACF???

Nationality
    [United States]

Unhappy Possible Bloat in ACF???

Hello!

I am new to this forum so I am sorry if it is not in the right place....

My boyfriend currently has two African Clawed Frogs. He has had them for about 1.5-2ish years I believe. We finally were able to move in together about 6 months ago after I graduated (yay me!).

Recently, maybe over the last 3 days, I have noticed that one of them seems to be "puffy" looking. Almost like the Pillsbury Dough boy! At first I thought he/she was overweight and I just hadn't noticed but when I googled how much they should be eating I came upon bloat pictures which look eerily similar! The other ACF is doing well and I have no concerns for him. We feed a mix of frozen foods which include: bloodworms, brine shrimp, and rarely beefheart just as a treat. Most of the diet, I would say about 85%, is mainly bloodworms. Which now that I am reading about bloat, might actually have been caused by the bloodworms! I feel like a horrible person!

I am currently giving salt baths in a separate 10 gallon tank for 30-60 minutes a day... first one was today. I don't know what else to do or if some one could give me a possible chance of survival.

These are the current living conditions for the 2 ACF:
    - 40g tank
    - Sand substrate with driftwood, two caves, and come fake silk plants for decoration
    - 3 large Apple Snails

Temporarily there are a few giant danios (WAY to big for them to eat or even put their mouth around) as I am moving their 210g tank to another location and my 55g temporary tank cracked in the moving process wah . All fish and snails are accounted for.

I am going to try and figure out how to post pictures if the attachments did not work!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: Possible Bloat in ACF???

Unfortunately, I do not know how to add pictures!

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

Sorry to hear things are not good with frog taken from another website, but best post pics to clarrify the bloat
    Diseases
    Bloat, aka Dropsy
    * Characterized by serious swelling of the limbs and body. Frog literally looks like it is puffing up. (Think of a resemblance to the Stay Puff Marshmallow Man from Ghost Busters). Unless diagnosed and treated in the early stages, it is most often fatal.
    * Fluid begins to build under the skin. The frog's body is unable to process the fluids and the fluid begins to pool under the skin and around the internal organs.
    * Thought to be related to kidney and liver genetic abnormalities or diseases.
    * Has been found to occur more in frogs primarily fed fatty foods such as bloodworm and beef heart.
    * A high quality pelleted diet and clean water are recommended preventative measures.
    * Does not spread from frog to frog - separation is needed to not stress healthy frogs by treating them for something they do not have.
    * TREATMENT:
    1. If frog is in a community tank then set up a treatment/quarantine tank, 10 gallons is sufficient. If the frog is the sole inhabitant of its own tank it may remain in there. If there is carbon in the filter then remove it prior to treatment. Filter not needed for treatment tank.
    2. Start a round of treatment with Maracyn II or Maracyn Plus. Dose as described on package.
    3. Daily salt baths. Take a spare container (Tupperware or a Kritter Keeper) - add one gallon of dechlorinated water around 72* and 1/2 Teaspoon of Epsom Salt. Let the frog remain in here for an hour. The discard the water and return the frog to its treatment tank.
    4. If no improvement after 10-14 days, the case may be considered incurable. Continue the salt dips for the frog's comfort and keep separated and comfortable. Depending on the severity of the bloat the frog's lifespan is indeterminable. The frog may last a few weeks, to a few months, to the better part of a year. If it was caught early and the bloats progression halted, the frog may live a few years if lucky.

5. This member thanks craig121 for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Quote Originally Posted by craig121 View Post
    * Characterized by serious swelling of the limbs and body. Frog literally looks like it is puffing up. (Think of a resemblance to the Stay Puff Marshmallow Man from Ghost Busters). Unless diagnosed and treated in the early stages, it is most often fatal.
    I often call it the "Michelin man syndrome"
    Terry Gampper
    Nebraska Herpetological Society

“If we can discover the meaning in the trilling of a frog, perhaps we may understand why it is for us not merely noise but a song of poetry and emotion.”
    ---
    Adrian Forsyth

Nationality
    [United States]

I'm pretty sure this is what he has! I just feel terrible since I'm sure this was my fault with the bloodworms. I am currently using Aquarium salt not sure if it is the same thing... I guess I will just google it. I will put him alone in another tank. I've been using tupperware for the salt baths as you suggested Craig121. I'll add the medication to the spare tank. I'll figure out where I can get it. I am still working on figuring out how to add a picture!

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

Evsters
    No pics showing, if its possible to take the frog to a vet then please do so, experianced one's are
    able determine the frogs chances of survival, it may include small puntures in skin to relieve the built
    up fluids,
    For feeding try raptor sticks slightly soaked pre feed or knightcrawlers 2-3 small ones per day but no feed on every 4th day

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Aquarium salt is OK, so is "sea salt" off the shelves at your grocery store, do NOT use iodized salt! Place frog in a treatment tank (bare tank, just water) and do daily salt baths. Take a spare container ("Rubbermaid" or a Kritter Keeper, with secure lid with small holes) - add one gallon of dechlorinated water around 72* and 1/2 teaspoon of salt. Let the frog remain in here for an hour. The discard the water, replace with fresh water and add the frog. Repeat the process until the bloat has cleared. If the bloat hasn't cleared up in a week, take the frog to the vet. If it is a soft bloat, most likely there would not be any kidney infection and the frog will live a long time. If the bloat becomes hard, then you need to treat with antibiotics, and unfortunately the disease can be fatal. Good luck with your frog!

Nationality
    [United States]

Thanks everyone for helping me! I really do appreciate it! I think the salt is helping! He already seems to be getting better. I started treating the second frog because I feel as though he seems to be getting bloated too. Or I'm just paranoid. I'm just happy to see improvement!

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Glad your frog is doing well. Salt baths will reduce the bloat over time. The reason why frogs bloat is that they are unable to expel the water that is absorbed into the skin (remember osmosis?) Keep the water clean and at the proper temperature and you shouldn't have any problems.

Nationality
    [United States]

Thank you Terry! One frog is all better. The other is making progress just much slower. I really am glad to see people who care about my froggies just like me

Thread Information