Thread: Knowing when to euthanize, please help

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Unhappy Knowing when to euthanize, please help

My kids have a grey tree frog. She was wild caught three years ago and quickly became very tame. We once visited the only "herp vet" around only to find she knew nothing about frogs. My frog was molting but vet didn't know frogs did that and prescribed meds for possible infection. So there are no vets here in rural area to help. My frog recently started to show signs of something wrong. One of her rear legs doesn't work. She drags it behind. It doesn't really look broken because it does go somewhat back in place when she sits in the water. Today, I found her upside down in her water dish, with very little water. It evaporates quickly in our dry home. I refilled it, and placed her right side up. She seemed okay. Several hours later, I found her upside down again under a plant. I tried to turn her over and she made a noise/squeak at me. I'm afraid she is really suffering and I need to know how to administer the neosporin with pain med to end this, but I also don't want to kill our pet if she could recover. Any thoughts?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Knowing when to euthanize, please help

Hello

Sorry to hear, doesn't sound good. Have a read of this: http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/euthanasia.shtml

Make sure conditions are fully correct before making a decision.

The frog should be kept in a 20-gallon high tank. Glass should be wiped down with water weekly and substrate changes monthly. Water dish scrubbed and refilled daily with dechlorinated water. The humidity should be around 70% (mist with a handheld sprayer as necessary) - keep an eye on this with a hygrometer as if your house is dry then your frog could just be dehydrated. Temperatures between 22-25C. There should be a day and night cycle of 12 hours light and 12 hours darkness. Insects should be gutloaded prior to feeding out on safe fruit and vegetables and also with a cricket feed in moderation. Every time they are fed out they should be dusted with a calcium and vitamin supplement like Repashy Calcium Plus. Feed a couple times a week at night if it's an adult.

Nationality
    [Canada]

It would be Orajel you would want to use not Neosporin, and I would personally get the extra strength if this is the way and decision you end up making. Sorry to hear your froggy friend isn't well.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by jasonm96 View Post
    Hello

Sorry to hear, doesn't sound good. Have a read of this: http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/euthanasia.shtml

Make sure conditions are fully correct before making a decision.

The frog should be kept in a 20-gallon high tank. Glass should be wiped down with water weekly and substrate changes monthly. Water dish scrubbed and refilled daily with dechlorinated water. The humidity should be around 70% (mist with a handheld sprayer as necessary) - keep an eye on this with a hygrometer as if your house is dry then your frog could just be dehydrated. Temperatures between 22-25C. There should be a day and night cycle of 12 hours light and 12 hours darkness. Insects should be gutloaded prior to feeding out on safe fruit and vegetables and also with a cricket feed in moderation. Every time they are fed out they should be dusted with a calcium and vitamin supplement like Repashy Calcium Plus. Feed a couple times a week at night if it's an adult.
    Thank you. There are a lot of tears tonight. Both rear legs are dragging now, and she is quite swollen. I can she her legs appear to seize with her shallow breathing. I think it is time, but I hate playing God. My hubby says that it would die a similar death in the wild and to let it be. I think he secretly hopes she improves too, rather than us decide. She looks miserable and she has never made a noise to me in three years of handling. I'm so sad.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]
    Blog Entries

The best thing to do would be double check everything, give the frog a few days and if not put it out of its misery. I think it could be dehydration, so I would just make sure humidity is OK. If worst comes to worse, oragel is a quick and painless way for the frog to go out but don't let it go out by itself. Fingers crossed for you

Nationality
    [United States]

Jason and Cory, thank you for your responses. Sadly, our beloved frog needed assistance in crossing over to froggy heaven last night. I checked on her again and again, and she not only lost the use of her rear legs, but also her front legs as well. She could barely lift her head. I knew it was time, and was grateful that I was able to help her rather than watch this transpire. I used Extra Strength Orajel and it was very quick. I am so heartbroken.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]
    Blog Entries

Unfortunately these things happen. Since the frog was wild caught it could have been old age, but at least you put it out of its misery and it went well. My conlicences

9. This member thanks jasonm96 for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]

I love frogs

Sent from my Prism II using Tapatalk

So sorry to read of your loss jlara75. I have African clawed frogs. I would be devastated to lose one.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

12. This member thanks Baily2428 for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

I am so sorry for your loss I lost my female grey this past spring and it was really difficult.
    2.0.3 Hyla versicolor "Eastern Gray Tree Frogs"
    2.2.0 Agalychnis callidryas "Red Eyed Tree Frogs"

0.0.3 Dendrobates auratus "Turquoise and Bronze"
    0.0.1 Anaxyrus fowleri "Fowler's Toad"

14. This member thanks LilyPad for this post:

Thread Information