Thread: mixin and matchin-STOPME?

Default mixin and matchin-STOPME?

so i know its a sin to mix breeds, but right now i have 1 RETF, 2 basic green tree frogs (with the white stripe, i got for $5 at local pet store) and 3 fire belly toads, in a 40 gallon tank.

the toads stay on the ground, I have 3 large water bowls with rocks inside, and outside, and around perimeter at each section of the tank.(boiled all the rocks and the tubberwear ahead of time) not quite the land to water ratio ideal for the little buggers, but they are very active and don't seem to mind.. eventually would like to create a waterfall, but im paying as I go with this.

the whole tank is filled with eco earth, ferns, 2 bonsais, lots of other tropical ground covers and plants with large smooth leaves which I cleaned all of them off with dechlorinated water, and planted 2 months before exposing my critters to, to ensure no contact with harmful nursery chemicals took place.

I have a large (like, to the very top) cork bark hollowed out tree thing (exoterra) in the end with the highest plants, which is where I typically find my tree frogs.

I have managed to keep the temp regulated with a timer plug, and 7/8th of the tank glass enclosed with glass, with a five gallon tank metal screen topper modified to open and close in the middle of the tank like a cabinet door. (so I can reach in change water, pick up dead crickets/leaves) and allow ventilation to avoid wet wilt. the temp ranges from high sixties (pm) to 80(am), and a humidity from 50-70.

so far everyone is alive and well. the RETF I bright lime green in the day, and a dark olive at night, but the 2 basic tree frogs seem to be a little darker than I think they should. I feel it's because of me trying to get the temp/humid more consistant, and it only being under a week they are been in this tank.. I haven't been separating for feedings, though I would like to, but instead gut loading 20-30 small crickets, dusting them after two days, and letting them in for the hunger games. I can tell when everyone's about done hunting, and there's still a few crickets hopping around afterwards, but seems the toads take care of that or they all just hide for their life in the giant hollow bark cork thing.

I tried separating my smaller tree frog for feeding, but he was so concerned and stressed about escaping that he didn't eat, even when he was in a freshly clean, decorated, 3 walls covered 10 gallon tank.

how can I improve.
    I'm in love with my 6 little buggers.
    I want them fat and happy.
    intend on moving RETF back into tall mini exoterra cage but, i havnt had time to clean yet.

I also have a 20 gallon tank I have a small but if eco earth in, I plan to make 40% water and have the toads in, but for now, I'm working every day and cant.

give me any and all thoughts, suggestions, products, ideas

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G530AZ using Tapatalk

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: mixin and matchin-STOPME?

Have a read at this article

http://amphibiancare.com/2008/05/21/...ecies-dilemma/

And this for UVB and temperatures for fire bellied toads and red-eyed tree frogs. Greens are about low to mid 70s F at day and mid 60s F at night

http://www.jzar.org/jzar/article/view/150

Fire bellies toads are semi-aquatic and should be kept in a tank that has one half to two thirds of the floor with water and with aquatic plants. Water should be 2-6" deep and filtered, so water bowls are not really ideal.
    Last edited by jasonm96; December 24th, 2016 at 07:36 AM.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

I've personally kept 1 barking tree frogs and 2 red eyed together without issues and they will still going strong when I sold them on two years later but only these three frogs were in a 40 gallon and I wouldn't have added more. Greens I'm not sure about with red eyes. If you kept the ambient in the mid 70s F and no lower than 20C at night. Just give the red eyes a small local area at 30C, this might work. They frogs need quarantined, fecals done and treated if neccessary before mixing and if it doesn't work then you would have to know when and be able to seperate them. I wouldn't mix with the fire bellies, they need UVB and it won't reach the floor to them without being harmful at the upper levels to the tree frogs. They also benefit from a basking spot and have toxins. For the well being of the other frogs and the fire bellies, it would be best to keep these in their own tank and a small 10-gallon will do fine.

thanks everyone, I'll be setting up seperate tanks today!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G530AZ using Tapatalk

Thread Information