Thread: b. alvarius addition

Nationality
    [United States]

Talking b. alvarius addition

I enjoy my frogs! I used to primarily keep toads and frogs, but moved to doing snakes and arthropods, as I had school and a job back then and I like to devote a lot of time to amphibians.

Since moving down to new orleans, I have felt pretty sad! I had to rehome most of my collection from michigan, as I was taking the greyhound to come down to move and I'm sure you all can imagine why that was an issue. But I had found a local breeder of different critters and decided a big old toad is just what I needed.

Now, I have not cared for this specific type before, but I ended up liking the bufos in general. I am SO GLAD to have gotten her. I am not going to lie, I do have a fascination with venoms and poisons (thus the snakes and arthropods...some like it hot! ) but she is nothing like any other animal I have had which I exercise utmost care when dealing with.
    I have always thought frogs/toads had adorable lil personalities/demanors, but hers is killin me! Those pretty big old eyes, how placid she is, the little piggy eating habbits. I'm pretty sure I could feed her over 100 crickets in one sitting and she would still want more heh

With all that being said! There are some things I wasn't able to find through research. Right now I have her in a habitat comfy for an american toad. She's enormous and has a huge/industrial sized tote I had modified. Her substrate is some drainage rocks on the bottom, then a mix of 1 part sand:4 parts peat moss. I think that has been working thus far for humidity levels! But temp I am not too sure what to do with her! It is winter here, and her previous owner did natural winter/summer cycles so she's kind of in winter mode (it's getting kinda chilly down here. 60 degree weather D: ) But I do give her some basking time in the day. A few hours on/off for some "scattered sunlight." She has a large shallow soaking dish, foliage, hides, everything I theoretically believe to make this princess happy.
    My question with husbandry is, should I keep her more on the moist, typical bufo-loving environment or should I try to dry that out a little more. Humidity is at around 75%, but I let it dry out with taking off the top of the enclosure and "airing" out the substrate/poop cleanin

Then, on a more indulgent level
    For owners/previous owners of these dudes, tell me about how yours were! Cordelia is a mega little princess. She reminds me in demeanor of a strange rat I was very fond of in the past
    Also, how well do they respond to enrichment. I have thusfar enjoyed cleaning my room, laying out some toad-safe cover and letting her hop around (it's TOADally toad-proof). She seems to enjoy hopping around/exploring a bit, but is "puppy-tame" (actually, puppies are a lot more spazzy than her) and seems to like sitting just on my thigh when I am on the ground with her. I have heard that they are pretty easy to hand-feed and I would like to try that when she is more adjusted to her new life

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thread Information