Thread: Bad Advice Rant/Update on my situation

Default Bad Advice Rant/Update on my situation

Before I begin, I just want to state that I’m in no way talking about getting bad advice from this forum. I wish that I found this forum sooner and that I asked questions here before buying my paceman frog. I just got home from the vet and I spent 140 dollars on the examination and medicine that my frog needed. A while ago I made post on here because I was having an issue with my frog not having an appetite and one of his eyes being smaller than the other.

Well last weekend his condition got worse and he started having diarrhea. He was only pooping a thick white mucus substance with no brown in it at all two to three times a day so earlier this week I decided to make an appointment with the vet.

http://www.frogforum.net/showthread.php?t=36766

I was told by the vet that the issue with the smaller eye is a genetic defect and that he might be blind in that eye. The issue with his lack of appetite is being caused by parasites. I bought my frog from a reptile and amphibian distributer and I asked the guy that worked there a couple of questions and he couldn’t really answer any of them for me. He kept on telling me that all of the information that I needed was on the internet. When I went to petco, the guy there told me that I could use tap water for my frog and later on I found out that he was wrong. I went on the internet and ran across a forum post on a different site where someone said that he feeds his frogs insects caught out in the wild all the time as if it was ok to do that. I was very frustrated that my frog wasn’t eating so I decided to throw a wild brown anole lizard in there to see what he would do and he ate it. Those lizards are very easy to find in south florida. Anyway, my frog ended up getting parasites. Later on I read further down that thread and saw a response from someone saying that your frog can get parasites if you do that. I bought my crested gecko from a mom and pap shop two weeks after getting my frog and the guy there told me never put anything in the wild into your pets cage because they can catch all types of illnesses. I wouldn’t have put that lizard in the tank with my frog if the guy that I bought the frog from would have told me that.

Now that I look back I understand what went wrong with the frog. My frog was new so he was probably stressed. He just needed a week or two to get used to his new home. Using tap water probably stressed him out more and was the reason why he wasn't eating. The lizard that I put in his tank that he ate probably gave the frog parasites. I’m surprised that the little guy is still alive.

I would like to thank all of you for all of your advice. We just started treating my frog to kill the parasites. The vet said that my frog is underweight and that I need to force feed him every day. I will keep all of you updated.

2. This member thanks sciflux for this post:

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Canada]

Default Re: Bad Advice Rant/Update on my situation

Glad to hear you were able to figure out what was going with him. Hopefully now that you know and have the meds to treat him he has fast recovery and starts acting normal for you soon. And I'm hopeing that others will see this and read about the bad advice you were given about feeding wild caught bugs etc. because I have seen this asked on the forum a few times lately. I always say it only takes one bad feeder and your in whole a lot of trouble. Again hope everything turns out for you and sorry about all the bad advice you got.

5. This member thanks monster for this post:

Default Re: Bad Advice Rant/Update on my situation

Hey everyone I just wanted to give all of you an update on my frog Manny. I was given an antibiotic by the vet to give to my frog. It was supposed to be a five day thing. Today when I got home to give him his third dose, I discovered that he had died. He's unresponsive to any kind of stimuli and he's no longer breathing. I feel really bad about his death. Even though I did try to keep him alive, everything that I did just wasn't enough. I really enjoyed the time that I had with Manny. He was a different kind of pet than I've ever owned before. I can definitely see why people love owning frogs as pets. I'm not sure if I'm going to buy another one. I need some time to get over what happened with Manny before I could even own a frog again. I still do plan to roam around this forum every now and then.

I just wanted to thank everyone on here for your help and advice.

Thread Information