Thread: False bottom or standard drainage layer???

Nationality
    [United States]

Default False bottom or standard drainage layer???

As stated in the title I'm interested in your guys' opinions on which you prefer. Standard drainage layer with hydroballs or something similar, or a false bottom. Maybe some pros and cons for both? One question I had about a drainage layer is if you have to change the hydroballs? How would that happen if you had a whole setup already established? Thanks!!!!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: False bottom or standard drainage layer???

I use a drainage layer in a 10 gallon viv. It sits on top a false bottom so that water can flow underneath. I just added an external pump to circulate water from a reservoir (bucket) underneath the viv to an inlet in the viv that I might eventually add a small waterfall feature. Currently the water inlet tube is just below the waterline. The water is siphoned continuously back to the reservoir from an outlet that is underneath the "land".

As it is only a 10 gallon viv, I don't use the hydroballs (expanded clay). However if I ever get around to building a bigger viv, then I'd use expanded clay of some form as it is lighter. But only in areas where it is covered by other substrate. Clean, washed gravel would be my choice for the bottom of the water area, possibly with some smooth sand if I can convince myself I can keep it from moving with the current and eventually inhibiting the siphon flow.

I like having the drainage layer as I believe it gives a place for nitrobacter and nitrosomonas to colonize which help control ammonia levels in a biological way. As well, having the drainage layer underneath live plants eliminates having to water them and also provides some biological control of your water chemistry. If you pay attention to the type of gravel you use, you can also buffer the water ph to a certain extent. Limestone type rock will tend to raise your ph. Igneous types will do little to change what it is, but decomposing organic material in your viv will try to move your water to acidic.

At least that's my current thinking. As for entirely false bottom........ I've never done one or thought about it too much as it seems more work too me.

As for changing hydroballs or drainage layer. You don't if you can help it. It (IMO) just destroys the nitrobacter and nitrosomona colonies that are helping to clean the ammonia from your water (IMO). Up until two days ago when I tore apart my viv to add the siphon system, the drainage layer remained intact for well over five years. I did on several occasions remove the layers of substrate above it.

Thread Information