Thread: Another not eating

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Member needs to set country!

Default Another not eating

So glad this web site exist.
    Bought 2 pac mans 3 weeks ago and they still not eaten. They are burried and only time I see them is when I bring them 2 the top every 5 days to try and feed them. They are in coco fibre humidity 90% temp 80 at on end of the 10lter container 70 at the other. I'm using a heat wire to one side so they have a cooler spot. They don't see the light coz they are burried but the room is light by gecko tanks.
    I bought them from a pet shop and they are about the size of a golf ball

Nationality
    [Canada]

Default Re: Another not eating

Hi, your temps need to be fixed. Your warm end should be around 82f with a few degrees difference on the cool end, a 10 degree difference is a little to much. And to be honest no end of the tank should be 70f during the day. Also are you giving them a temp drop at night? If not there has to be drop in the temps at night because this is what triggers them to wake up and feed. This is how they work in there natural habitat. Your humidity can come down to around 75% also, 80% is the highest it should be. For the heat you would be better with some kind of over head heating like a bulb or ceramic heat emitter. The other thing I can think of is if they don't have a light on there tank or one on in the room that lights up the whole tank somewhat this may be contributing to not eating. They need enough light to make them think the sun is out and its day time, so if the light from the gecko tanks aren't lighting up the tank enough you are going to need to make there tanks brighter during the daytime. And then at night turn the light off so there is total darkness. They need a 12 hour day and night cycle. Hope this helps.

3. This member thanks monster for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by monster View Post
    Hi, your temps need to be fixed. Your warm end should be around 82f with a few degrees difference on the cool end, a 10 degree difference is a little to much. And to be honest no end of the tank should be 70f during the day. Also are you giving them a temp drop at night? If not there has to be drop in the temps at night because this is what triggers them to wake up and feed. This is how they work in there natural habitat. Your humidity can come down to around 75% also, 80% is the highest it should be. For the heat you would be better with some kind of over head heating like a bulb or ceramic heat emitter. The other thing I can think of is if they don't have a light on there tank or one on in the room that lights up the whole tank somewhat this may be contributing to not eating. They need enough light to make them think the sun is out and its day time, so if the light from the gecko tanks aren't lighting up the tank enough you are going to need to make there tanks brighter during the daytime. And then at night turn the light off so there is total darkness. They need a 12 hour day and night cycle. Hope this helps.
    Ok I've got a bit of tweaking to do. But don't think the above is stopping them from feeding do you. They not fed since I got them. Should I try force feed with a pinky?
    12h light 12h dark?

Nationality
    [Canada]

No don't force feed till you fix your temps and humidity and see if this helps. It is very stressfull for them. And yes your heat being incorrect will make your frogs act off and not want to eat. The heat is the most crucial part to there care IMO, if you cant get the correct temps the frog will never thrive. Heat is what helps them digest there food, so if its not warm enough they don't digest which will make them not want to eat and if the food in there belly doesn't digest fast enough it could make the frog very ill because his food will start to rot inside making him go septic. And if the humidity is to high for long periods of time you can start to create bacteria inside your tank which make him develop a bacteria infection or if its to high they can also get different kinds of fungal infections. Or they can develop respritory problems, all these things will make them not want to eat.

Quote Originally Posted by monster View Post
    No don't force feed till you fix your temps and humidity and see if this helps. It is very stressfull for them. And yes your heat being incorrect will make your frogs act off and not want to eat. The heat is the most crucial part to there care IMO, if you cant get the correct temps the frog will never thrive. Heat is what helps them digest there food, so if its not warm enough they don't digest which will make them not want to eat and if the food in there belly doesn't digest fast enough it could make the frog very ill because his food will start to rot inside making him go septic. And if the humidity is to high for long periods of time you can start to create bacteria inside your tank which make him develop a bacteria infection or if its to high they can also get different kinds of fungal infections. Or they can develop respritory problems, all these things will make them not want to eat.
    much appreciated thanks for this info. I'll keep you updated

Thread Information