Thread: First ever tadpole---what is 'normal'?

Nationality
    [United States]

Unhappy First ever tadpole---what is 'normal'?

I recently rescued a tadpole from a store that was going to flush it because they could not sell it. I already had a cycled aquarium that I had intended to use for guppies, so I brought it home and it perked right up.
    It has been identified as either a green frog or american bullfrog, and is about 1.5 inches long. Lately, however, s/he has started becoming lethargic, not eating as much, and this morning I noticed it is getting pale. In fact, I thought it had died several times due to not moving for hours and only moved when I tried to scoop it out, assuming the worst.
    I have had it for a week, been feeding pleco algae-enriched wafers, boiled lettuce, and once in a while the squashed innards of a thawed pea. The tank is at room temperature, which is always in the upper 60s/lower 70s. I also have a CFL light on a 10/14 cycle, and do frequent small water changes (just enough to siphon poo out of the gravel. Readings are 0-0-.25.

Is my tadpole just getting ready to go through metamorphosis, trying to hibernate, or is it sick? :/

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Default Re: First ever tadpole---what is 'normal'?

i'm afraid to say that it is probably getting ill. this is especially true if the tadpole hangs out near the surface of the water a lot. most of the time this is related to poor water quality/not enough oxygen. I would do a water change and throw some melafix/pimafix and hope for the best. can you upload an image?

4. 2 members thank herpdoc for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by herpdoc View Post
    i'm afraid to say that it is probably getting ill. this is especially true if the tadpole hangs out near the surface of the water a lot. most of the time this is related to poor water quality/not enough oxygen. I would do a water change and throw some melafix/pimafix and hope for the best. can you upload an image?
    Luckily I did a large water change and added some plants, and it seems to have helped a lot! It is still laying about all the time, though, but I am not sure how active it's supposed to be. It is still the same size, but more 'frog-shaped', rather than a balloon. I think it may have parasites though, it's poop is clear and 'stringy'. I have not fed the peas or lettuce since my previous post. I will upload pictures of the tad as soon as possible but I can't guarantee good quality. I am also going to test for parasite eggs once I find my microscope.

Nationality
    [United States]

He is still having clear, white, or undigested stool longer than the tadpole itself--- unfortunately I don't have a working microscope any more. He also now has red spots on his belly.

Thread Information