Thread: 2 questions from a new pacman frog owner

Default 2 questions from a new pacman frog owner

Hi everyone, I got a pacman frog just 4 days ago at the houston reptile show. She is in a critter keeper that's about 12x6 inches with 3 inches of eco earth. I have two questions as of now. My room stays at a constant 75 degrees and I don't know how I could heat up the cage for the time being until my dad brings over my old 10 gallon cage this weekend. Right now her ambient temperature is at 79 degrees and humidity is at 70% (misted her a few hours ago and it was at 80, it's dropped since) So is there any way i could rig a light above the cage without melting the plastic until my dad comes over saturday?

Second, my frog is not eating. I checked with the seller and it was parasite free and healthy, at a plump but healthy weight. She last ate monday, two superworms dusted with calcium and multivitamins and she hasn't eaten since. I am worried, she is only about 2 inches and ate a 1.5 inch superworm each.

Do you think she is not eating because she is getting settled in or is it something more? I am gonna raise the temp with an under tank heatmat for now, i've heard to do it and not to do it but I just want her to be healthy. I've offered superworms (heads crashed just to avoid anything bad happening) and mealworms. I have access to dubias crickets and nightcrawlers but I don't want to keep going on and shoving feed in front of her with tongs every few hours, I want her stress levels lowered. I keep her in my dark closet at nighy and in the day i put her by the window to get sunlight. How long do you think she could go without eating? Let me know if i am doing anything wrong.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Canada]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: 2 questions from a new pacman frog owner

Yes, you should bump temps a bit, although 79 is not tragic. To raise temps I suggest you suspend lamp above the critter keeper, this way you can raise temp without melting anything. Ceramic heat emitter would be your best.

do not feed superworms or mealworms, they contain chitin that frogs can't digest and put your frog at risk of impaction. I would just put a few guy loaded crickets in there, frog should hunt them down
    have you covered 3 sides of your tank?
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Thanks for the info, I'll change her diet to crickets. For some odd reason, it will not let me post a pic or URL with the picture to the rig I set up here is a link to the setup https://twitter.com/luker1979/status/794339958500757504 I'll definitely put some dark paper over the sides of the cage. Does it matter if the paper is in front of where the frog is looking to not block his view to the outside world? Silly question but just asking just in case. Right now I have a red heat lamp from my old chameleon not too many watts i don't think, it definitely is not going to cook my frog

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

It's fine if the paper blocks the view I've covered all 4 sides for really nervous frogs in the past.
    2.0.3 Hyla versicolor "Eastern Gray Tree Frogs"
    2.2.0 Agalychnis callidryas "Red Eyed Tree Frogs"

0.0.3 Dendrobates auratus "Turquoise and Bronze"
    0.0.1 Anaxyrus fowleri "Fowler's Toad"

Nationality
    [Canada]

Me too! Quarantine tanks are always with all sides covered.

tank looks good, I would take that moss you have in here too ( impaction risk) and put in something plant'y. I really like these hanging ones, you stick them to the glass and they fall down the soil creating a hide.
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Ok yeah I have heard stories of impaction, it's a terrible thing. I'll take that out. I have tons of those hanging plants you suction to the glass or plastic of a cage. I'll put that in there for some extra security. Do you reccommend dubias for the time being? I can't get crickets until saturday. Pet store has strange hours.

Nationality
    [Canada]

Sure, do dubia, the idea is to get him eat, you trying to give him food off tongs, if he never ate like that, is not really helping. Once he is eating and adjusted to his home, try tongs again. One stressor at a time

9. This member thanks Lija for this post:

Nationality
    [Canada]

When choosing hanging or normal fake plants try to get or use the silk ones instead of the hard plastic, less chance for injury or a good poke in the eye from one of those hard edges.

11. 2 members thank monster for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Lija View Post
    Sure, do dubia, the idea is to get him eat, you trying to give him food off tongs, if he never ate like that, is not really helping. Once he is eating and adjusted to his home, try tongs again. One stressor at a time
    Ok definitely! Thanks for your help, I also covered her cage on 3 sides

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by monster View Post
    When choosing hanging or normal fake plants try to get or use the silk ones instead of the hard plastic, less chance for injury or a good poke in the eye from one of those hard edges.
    Ok, yeah I have some soft silky ones as well. Thanks

Nationality
    [Canada]

Looks good!

Quote Originally Posted by Lija View Post
    Looks good!
    Thank you! And thanks for all the help

Ok everyone, I fed her once I got crickets this morning, she ate two and they were both dusted with the right supplements, thanks for everyones help

18. This member thanks AlbinoTrtoise for this post:

Thread Information