Thread: are Minnows good feeders? what else can I use?

Nationality
    [United States]

Default are Minnows good feeders? what else can I use?

Are minnows okay once a week?

I am trying to come up with ideas for feeders for my african bullfrog and pacman.They are growing and crickets are kinda small. I am working on a dubia colony but cant cull to many yet if I want more in the future so Ive only been feeding these once in awhile more like a treat.
    Night crawlers(calcium dusted) mostly and once a week fuzzy mice and superworms are what they are getting right now.
    This is about all I can get locally.In summer I can get feeder crayfish as well but not right now.

Is there a feeding schedule I should use? Ive been feeding every other day.
    Although the pacman will skip meals occasionally, he has always been a hard one to get interested in food.I have to tease him and if he misses he gives up.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: are Minnows good feeders? what else can I use?

I've never fed fish, read that they contain too much vit D and can be diseased, but others have raised and maintained these frogs on them. It's a bit risky and their use is probably best limited.

If you're feeding your frogs every other day then I'm assuming they're juveniles, so the XL crickets should be big enough? I would order some roaches every other week until your colony is established as they are good food items, although need supplemented like most insects.

Night crawlers don't need calcium dusted though as they already have a good Ca:P ratio. If you use them as a main component to the diet you might need to add multivitamins, though. Take care not too feed pink mice too often (but do include them) it has been said that the have a high vitamin A which can interfere with calcium absorption and they also young mice have a bad Ca:P ratio, so you need to add calcium D3 to balance them out. Since mice already have preformed vit D, adding supplements makes them very rich, but feeding night crawlers without supplementation might balance it out.

Frequency of feeding depends on size and this is covered in most good books on these frogs

Nationality
    [United States]

The dubia with shipping is way too expensive for feeders here. The frogs are around 5 mnths old. I dont know why I dont use crickets really, they just seem too small and they would need to eat a whole bunch.I worry about substrate ingestion too. I feed them off tongs so I dont have to worry so much. They are on coco fiber but they both will grab mouthfuls if the food is moving around on it.
    My two frogs..one albino pacman(cranwelli) and one african bullfrog..Both unknown genders.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

If you're feeding superworms, nightcrawlers and pink mice you shouldn't need too much roaches. Just buy bulk at a good size. It does cost a lot to raise these frogs, but once they're mature they only need fed once each week, just one of those things you gotta do until then really. This is why if you were to buy an adult it would cost you a fortune.

I feed mine mine in large flat critter keeper, eliminates the impaction risk, allows the frog to get the insects before supplements are lost and also also allows you to check on its size and growth better. Doesn't seem to bother my frog too much as long as he gets fed.

Thread Information