Thread: How long does it take a frog to digest food and poop?

Unhappy How long does it take a frog to digest food and poop?

My first frog ate multiple pieces of gravel while chasing and eating crickets. I thought i had done enough research on frogs when i built her terrarium/vivarium but apparently i still have a lot to learn. I just redid the layout of the habitat eliminating coconut fiber substrate and using only gravel because i didnt like the way substrate was making everything so dirty... I'm very stupid and guilty.

This happened about 6 hours ago. Her belly is deformed and sticking out on side. She hasn't moved from one spot at the bottom of the tanm. She used to climb up to the top of the tree twig and chill there.

I found her at school garage about 3 weeks ago. I believe she's a female gray tree frog from the looks and the way she eats every cricket thrown until there's none in front of her. There are two different species that are identical in appearance, etc.

She once pooped out a piece of wood chip which was bigger than the gravel she just ate. But this time she ate multiple pieces of gravel, i think, and looks like shes in a serious condition. It's been 6 hours and she is still sitting in that one spot. I read that i should move her to a warm dish of water with mineral to help.

What mineral am i supposed to use? Where can i find it? How warm in temperature should water be?

My frog is at about 2 inches long. She was healthy and active until this happened. Now looking back at it, i realize i should have forced her to spit out the gravel when it happened... Well it's too late. She doesnt like being held, so if i try to grab and move her to warm water, she might try to jump or struggle and hurt herself even more.

Im preparing for the worst, but i just don't want to give up on her yet. What to do? Thank you.

When she was healthy: http://i.imgur.com/9BwWk6xh.jpg

Now: *she actually moved a short distance while i was typing this: http://i.imgur.com/3T9jeYXh.jpg

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Default Re: How long does it take a frog to digest food and poop?

She made it. Found a piece of gravel next to her poop. She did sleep through last night when she's usually active during night time.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

For future reference, in case she has trouble with the other pieces, I don't know what "mineral" they were talking about. Mineral oil? But I don't know if that would hurt a frog. The warm water bath is good to help with constipation though. You might want to add some sugar or a drop of honey.

Also don't blame yourself! I wouldn't have expected frogs to eat gravel either if I didn't know. If you have a problem with substrate making stuff dirty, you could try leaf litter on top of it. You'd use tough leaves like Magnolia or live oak collected in a fairly clean place away from roadways and then boiled and baked thoroughly to kill lifeforms inside. Or you could order it from Josh's Frogs.

5. This member thanks elly for this post:

She's active but looks weird to me when stretched on the glass wall. http://i.imgur.com/X6QnZ9j.jpg

Is she ok?

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

She looks okay, as far as I can tell. Might want to check her stomach later and see if it goes back to white again.

8. This member thanks elly for this post:

Thread Information