Thread: Young 3-Legged Frog: Will he/she survive?

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Young 3-Legged Frog: Will he/she survive?

Hello!
    Some Bird-Voiced and/or Green Tree Frogs laid their eggs in our pool awhile back (It hadn't been treated for awhile) and the tadpoles hatched, and the vast majority of them are now crawling along the side of the pool and sitting on the rim of it.

Today I was sitting in the pool (it's mostly drained), watching the cute little frogs swim around and there was this one that caught my attention. It was a frog with two front legs, and one back leg. We named him Peg Leg Joe. I picked him up gently, set him in a glass jar and took a few pictures of him. When I was releasing him back into the pool, he refused to get off the jar, unlike the other froglettes, who jumped off even when they were high up.
    So, I guess my question is, will Peg Leg Joe survive in the wild? Is there anything I can do to help him?

Bonus problem!

My parents said that they are going to completely drain the pool once all the tadpoles can live on land. We do have a pond, but it's more of a big puddle that is typically very dry. Last summer I had to go down there every day and had to gentle pry them off of the dried ground (I used the little puddle of water to get them as wet as I could before cracking out the spoon to dig them out). The nearest pond that is always full is about a mile or so away. If I filled a kiddy pool or old hot tub with rain water, would that be work for the frogs? I would hate for any frogs to get ran over and killed on the way there, if they can even find it. I would put the container in-ground so that all frogs and toads can get without hassle. And if I can make an artificial pond, is there a way I can keep snakes and other predators out? I'm going to try and build a pond

Thank you so much!

PS, I'll try to upload a picture of Peg Leg when I can.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Young 3-Legged Frog: Will he/she survive?

There's a chance he can survive, I think. Though it'll be harder. (Maybe someone more familiar can chime in and say if I'm right or wrong.)

A kiddy pool could work for frogs, especially if they're climbing frogs, but I don't think you can keep snakes and predators away. It might be better to let them find (or bring them to) the pond, unless you want to make the kiddy pool a permanent feature.

100+ Post Member Cliygh and Mia 2's Avatar
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Young 3-Legged Frog: Will he/she survive?

If he could escape from predators, he theoretically could survive, but personally, I wouldn't. The two species you listed are really easy to care for, and with adequate care it'll survive in captivity. Any photos of the little guy?

Thread Information