Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Fire-Bellied Toads, Am I doing it right?

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: Fire-Bellied Toads, Am I doing it right?

Quote Originally Posted by ericbrookey View Post
    No real need to use conditioner with bottles water but it can't hurt. What kind of conditioner did you get? Some treat chlorine and some just provide a slime coat, mostly beneficial for fish.

You should always rinse gravel before use to get rid of dust and particulates and rinse any decor and wood. No need to boil or bake store bought wood. Only if you got it from the outside.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Sorry! I've been working super hard this week, my supplies come in on thursday and the current tank i'm using is getting replaced tommorow by a 55 gallon that was used. It'll be great sinces its only 50$ with the stand,cover and tank.

I'm ordered a medium bottle of Tetra AquaSafe Plus with BioExtract,

I will post a picture of the setup tommorow once I get it cleaned.
    If computers have no doors or fences, who needs Windows and Gates?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]

Cool Re: Fire-Bellied Toads, Am I doing it right?

Hello everyone, I have finished building my setup!

The full View, I'm going to order another reptisun since my older bulb broke this morning...

Here is the water side of the aquarium, not entirely 50/50 but I bought a few floating items they can rest on, I plan on using the floating island as a feeder island for the crickets.

Heres the land side, I reused a few items from my older setup after washing them off, I'm really enjoying my waterfall filter

Here is a better shot!

Roughly spent about 450 on the setup all together, with a few free items here and there, got the aquarium for 50 bucks. With stand and screentop, was dirty but in the end I cleaned it and it looked brand new..

Questions..

What fish should I put with them?

What live plants, both aquatic and nonaquatic plants are the best for these toads?

I guess there is a happy ending to this mess-up!

Future notes to everyone, never base your setup on big petchain caresheets!

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

This isn't perfect, good stuff!!

I wouldn't put fish in, the volume of water isn't enough, the toxins from the toads will probably be concentrated.

Some great plants for land and in water are pothos or cyperus plant. Elodea, duckweed and Amazon frogbit in the water. I think you'd probably have to increase the light, though. I would just keep it artificial just now to save the hassle.

Pet shops usually have **** advice and barely keep their animals long term enough to their care.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by jasonm96 View Post
    This isn't perfect, good stuff!!

I wouldn't put fish in, the volume of water isn't enough, the toxins from the toads will probably be concentrated.

Some great plants for land and in water are pothos or cyperus plant. Elodea, duckweed and Amazon frogbit in the water. I think you'd probably have to increase the light, though. I would just keep it artificial just now to save the hassle.

Pet shops usually have **** advice and barely keep their animals long term enough to their care.

Do you mean isn't or is? Haha.

And I read the guppies really are good for FBTs but any other fish usually has weird buildups after awhile from the toxins, don't want that. But for now, I want to add two more FBTS and let them adjust before making any changes.

And I'll deff be increasing the light by adding one more uvb lamp.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Autocorrect lol!!

They'll probably just eat them and remember fish are really bad for disease

You're better off with a lamp designed to grow plants, the ones used for fish tanks in combination with any UVB you're using

Agreed, that IS a nice setup for them. They should do very well in there. Couple of points..

1. They will eat the guppies so if you use them, be prepared for that. The guppies will help cycle the filter but it will take a long time wit such a small bioload. Over the next few months, make sure to check for ammonia buildup and do water changes accordingly.

2. You can use java moss, frog bit or ducked but be prepared for an explosion of the frog bit and duckweed. Once it is introduced it will be near impossible to remove. Water lettuce works well but has a tendency to die off and needs to be replaced. Pothos will grow well but needs to be rooted in something and has a tendency to melt when exposed directly to water.

3. Make sure they have some hiding spots, plant cover, etc. It gives them a sense of security.

4. If you can, put a few pieces of wood that extend up high above the water line, they will love to climb on them.

Overall, nice job!

Nationality
    [United States]

Agreed, that IS a nice setup for them. They should do very well in there. Couple of points..

1. They will eat the guppies so if you use them, be prepared for that. The guppies will help cycle the filter but it will take a long time wit such a small bioload. Over the next few months, make sure to check for ammonia buildup and do water changes accordingly.

2. You can use java moss, frog bit or ducked but be prepared for an explosion of the frog bit and duckweed. Once it is introduced it will be near impossible to remove. Water lettuce works well but has a tendency to die off and needs to be replaced. Pothos will grow well but needs to be rooted in something and has a tendency to melt when exposed directly to water.

3. Make sure they have some hiding spots, plant cover, etc. It gives them a sense of security.

4. If you can, put a few pieces of wood that extend up high above the water line, they will love to climb on them.

Overall, nice job!

" 3. Make sure they have some hiding spots, plant cover, etc. It gives them a sense of security.

4. If you can, put a few pieces of wood that extend up high above the water line, they will love to climb on them. "

Good to see you again, man!

In response to #3 and #4, I have both of these. They seem to be enjoying their new home alot.

As for #1, I might consider waiting for the filter to establish itself before adding guppies. But i'm fine if they eat the guppies. ​1

With just the frogs in there I'm not sure the tank will ever cycle. They do tend to poop in the water but compared to cycling with fish the bioload will be small. Just watch the params and make sure ammonia, nitrites and nitrates don't get too high.

You will get moss tracked in the water which may help towards the cycle when it breaks down.

Nationality
    [United States]

With just the frogs in there I'm not sure the tank will ever cycle. They do tend to poop in the water but compared to cycling with fish the bioload will be small. Just watch the params and make sure ammonia, nitrites and nitrates don't get too high.

You will get moss tracked in the water which may help towards the cycle when it breaks down.

Hmmm, I will keep this in mind.

Should I add a bubbler if I plan on keeping fish?

Quote Originally Posted by Marinecrab View Post
    Hmmm, I will keep this in mind.

Should I add a bubbler if I plan on keeping fish?
    Not necessary. It will help speed up the cycle if you are doing a fishless cycle but I wouldn't do that with the frogs already in there. Way too high ammonia content is needed for that and will not be good for them. Just get an API Master Test kit and test every week until you establish a cycle then every month or so before water changes. With this type of setup you can probably get away with a 50% wc every 2 weeks once established, occassionally vac the gravel, and they should be fine.

Nationality
    [United States]

Not necessary. It will help speed up the cycle if you are doing a fishless cycle but I wouldn't do that with the frogs already in there. Way too high ammonia content is needed for that and will not be good for them. Just get an API Master Test kit and test every week until you establish a cycle then every month or so before water changes. With this type of setup you can probably get away with a 50% wc every 2 weeks once established, occassionally vac the gravel, and they should be fine.

Hmmmm, I'll see if I can get a cheap vac kit, but I will be getting water test kits.

Hmmmm, I'll see if I can get a cheap vac kit, but I will be getting water test kits.
    I just recently bought a vac that has a fairly thin tube with a manual squeeze pump on it. I love it because it can get in the crevices between all the dw and decor and the manual pump keeps the frog toxin laced water out of my mouth lol

I went with sand in my setup as it seems easier to keep clean but gravel is fine. As long as it's not up top where they might ingest it accidentally.

Nationality
    [United States]

I just recently bought a vac that has a fairly thin tube with a manual squeeze pump on it. I love it because it can get in the crevices between all the dw and decor and the manual pump keeps the frog toxin laced water out of my mouth lol

I went with sand in my setup as it seems easier to keep clean but gravel is fine. As long as it's not up top where they might ingest it accidentally.

Once I get plants I plan on mixing and using the sand to anchor the plants in the water.

Once I get plants I plan on mixing and using the sand to anchor the plants in the water.
    You might consider some Dracaenea. It does well partially submerged and as long as you support the stalks in gravel they will hold up pretty well. It's the tall plants I have in mine left of middle. Not very broad leaves and the roots don't go too crazy but it looks good in bunches and will provide decent shade. It needs something to keep it upright though so I positioned mine between wood for support. Good plant for the height of a 55g.

how are your little guys doing in their new home?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Nationality
    [United States]

how are your little guys doing in their new home?

We lost one, he got out after my girlfriend forgot to close the top properly, they are doing great, we have a total of four now. I've added a bunch of live plants, a new filter, two plecos and ten tetras and they're doing great.

I switched them over to medium crickets and they're eating more often than they did with small.

Now!! Before you say!! Yes, I do realize that there are some failures with mixing, but there are also huge success stories with mixing as well. I've taken it slowly with adding fish and plants. And so far, i've had sucess

Other than that, they're doing hell of a lot better, i've a few pictures i've taken.

I have a question though, I read online that my water is being cloudy from a bacteria bloom.
    Its been little over a week and i'm still seeing stringy strands of white algea and slime. Is this Okay?

Also, how often should I feed these guys and how much?

What about a superworm dish, I know meal worms are to thick but, how about a superworm filled dish?

I'll send pictures as soon my phone charges, I used it up from work.

I don't think that's taking it slowly with adding fish. Your tank is nowhere near cycled and those plecos will have a big bioload, which with that small volume of water, you will see the ammonia rise rapidly and the tetras will suffer unless you are monitoring it very well. Water changes are also going to be rough as ypu cant take more than a few gallons out at a time.

Either way, not the stocking choice I would have made but it's your tank. What kind of plecos are they?

That does suck about the eacapee. Hard lesson to learn.

Food size should typically be no larger than the space between their eyes..5-6 small or 3-4 medium crickets a couple times a week is fine. Small meal worms are fine..just don't let one get all the worms, cause they will gorge.

As for algae, it's typical in a new tank to get diatom blooms. It should go away. Stringy algae either means too high light or nutrients or not enough filtration. Pictures would help. You will get it also on new wood that is constantly wet and it will dissipate.

Nationality
    [United States]

Food size should typically be no larger than the space between their eyes..5-6 small or 3-4 medium crickets a couple times a week is fine. Small meal worms are fine..just don't let one get all the worms, cause they will gorge.

As for algae, it's typical in a new tank to get diatom blooms. It should go away. Stringy algae either means too high light or nutrients or not enough filtration. Pictures would help. You will get it also on new wood that is constantly wet and it will dissipate.

I can always move the Tetras into a different tank until then, I understand the bioload of the plecos, I just want them in there for the first few weeks to help with algae.

As for feeding and the pictures, I do it every other day.

Here are the pictures.

Still working on getting UVB

This stuff seems to never come off, any suggestions? This is a used tank, I cleaned it to the bone. Looked like it sat in someones attic for awhile, had cobwebs and everything. I resealed it.

He really seems to be enjoying his new home.

Pics aren't coming up for me for some reason. How big are the plecos? I have seen instances where a toad tried to eat a pleco and it got stuck. The toad didn't make it, so be careful. It was a big toad, or bullfrog, can't remember, but if the FBT see it they may go for it.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread Information