Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Fire-Bellied Toads, Am I doing it right?

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Fire-Bellied Toads, Am I doing it right?

Haha yes sorry! Here's a pic of my set up for ideas, thrown together and easy to do upload image

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]

Hello all! Here is an update on my frogs!

I intend on cleaning the water right after I set up my shopping list. Today is feeding day and I will most likely be moving them to a special feeding tub to make sure they eat.

If computers have no doors or fences, who needs Windows and Gates?

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]
    Blog Entries

If you put it on the land part they'll take them into the water to eat in no tine

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by jasonm96 View Post
    If you put it on the land part they'll take them into the water to eat in no tine
    Will do!

I would lower the water level an inch during this interim period. Drop the cricks on both land pieces and they will find them. They will even eat them from the water if they spy movement.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by ericbrookey View Post
    I would lower the water level an inch during this interim period. Drop the cricks on both land pieces and they will find them. They will even eat them from the water if they spy movement.

They ate 4 out of the six crickets I put out. I have just ordered most of the supplies that you guys have suggested.

Nationality
    [United States]

Hey guys, something really worrying has been happening.

I've noticed they aren't as active as they were when they were in the first setup I had, and aren't really moving around as much AT ALL. I took them out and they barely responded to my fingers being near them.
    Are they okay? The hang out the most around the land portion as of now.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

When my FBT's spend more time on land, then I know my water quality is getting bad. Particularly the ammonia levels in the water. Never had them act sluggish though.

If you suspect the water quality, you might get one of those aquarium water test kits and check it.

My recommendation for water is bottled spring water. I use distilled because it's a little cheaper, but I have a large area of natural gravel that I believe replaces the minerals that distilled water does not have. I wouldn't use distilled in a viv that doesn't have something to replace the lost minerals.

If you use tap water, be sure to let it sit a couple days so it can de-chlorinate itself. Again I'd recommend you test it too before using as many municipal water supplies are very alkaline/high pH. I don't adjust my water with chemicals either. I just replace it.

Nationality
    [United States]

Smile Re: Fire-Bellied Toads, Am I doing it right?

Quote Originally Posted by privet01 View Post
    When my FBT's spend more time on land, then I know my water quality is getting bad. Particularly the ammonia levels in the water. Never had them act sluggish though.

If you suspect the water quality, you might get one of those aquarium water test kits and check it.

My recommendation for water is bottled spring water. I use distilled because it's a little cheaper, but I have a large area of natural gravel that I believe replaces the minerals that distilled water does not have. I wouldn't use distilled in a viv that doesn't have something to replace the lost minerals.

If you use tap water, be sure to let it sit a couple days so it can de-chlorinate itself. Again I'd recommend you test it too before using as many municipal water supplies are very alkaline/high pH. I don't adjust my water with chemicals either. I just replace it.
    I'm going to change the water right now and use spring water.

They are probably just stressed and also just ate. You have moved them into 3 completely different environments in a short time period. Handling them stresses them out, IMO. You should do it as little as possible.

12. This member thanks ericbrookey for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]

They are probably just stressed and also just ate. You have moved them into 3 completely different environments in a short time period. Handling them stresses them out, IMO. You should do it as little as possible.

I don't handle them unless I have too. I changed the water and they seem to be much more happier, I'm glad my shipment is coming in six more days.

Thank you all.

Quote Originally Posted by Marinecrab View Post
    I don't handle them unless I have too. I changed the water and they seem to be much more happier, I'm glad my shipment is coming in six more days.

Thank you all.
    That's good to hear. Wasn't that pretty fresh water though? Seems it was newly put in the tank when you moved them right? It did look a bit hazy but it will take much longer for it to foul. Even without a filter. Either way, glad they are perking up.

What's your water temp btw?

Nationality
    [United States]

That's good to hear. Wasn't that pretty fresh water though? Seems it was newly put in the tank when you moved them right? It did look a bit hazy but it will take much longer for it to foul. Even without a filter. Either way, glad they are perking up.

What's your water temp btw?

70-80, I changed it before going to bed and they're more active and deff swim alot more. That water was tap, I was told against using bottled water, then against using tap.
    When I set up my waterfall filter I plan on using tap water and using a dechlorinator, letting that run for a few hours.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]
    Blog Entries

Tap water that you can drink should be fine if treated but you also have to let it sit out for 24 hours so the gas bubbles go away

Nationality
    [United States]

Tap water that you can drink should be fine if treated but you also have to let it sit out for 24 hours so the gas bubbles go away
    I will be keeping this in mind.

If you treat with Prime there is no need to let it sit out. I do water changes direct from the tap and just put the Prime directly into the tank as it fills. For smaller volume changes you can just have some pretreated water in a bucket or 5 gal water bottle ready to go so that the Prime has a chance to work in.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]
    Blog Entries

Aquarium conditioner products treat chlorine, but what about the gases though? Don't know if fire-bellies are at risk of gas bubble disease, though, I do think it's still a good idea to let it set for a few hours so the water goes to the same temperature of the water that' in the tank

Nationality
    [United States]

Aquarium conditioner products treat chlorine, but what about the gases though? Don't know if fire-bellies are at risk of gas bubble disease, though, I do think it's still a good idea to let it set for a few hours so the water goes to the same temperature of the water that' in the tank
    Hey guys, thanks for responding, I will be using bottled water and conditioner just to be safe,

Should I rinse out ever item I've gotten @ mail? Including the gravel and substrate?

It definitely doesn't hurt to let tap sit out but I've never heard of any problems with not, if using Prime. They aren't as susceptible as fish and I do the same thing with all of my fish tanks, without issue. Getting it close to temp is always a good idea but as long as it's within a few degrees they will be fine.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

22. This member thanks ericbrookey for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Marinecrab View Post
    Hey guys, thanks for responding, I will be using bottled water and conditioner just to be safe,

Should I rinse out ever item I've gotten @ mail? Including the gravel and substrate?
    No real need to use conditioner with bottles water but it can't hurt. What kind of conditioner did you get? Some treat chlorine and some just provide a slime coat, mostly beneficial for fish.

You should always rinse gravel before use to get rid of dust and particulates and rinse any decor and wood. No need to boil or bake store bought wood. Only if you got it from the outside.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information