Thread: Fire Bellied Toads, am I doing it right or wrong?

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Fire Bellied Toads, am I doing it right or wrong?

Hello one and all, I recently decided that I wanted to own some of my first amphibibans. (Sulcata Tortoise Owner for 7 years)
    I instantly fell in love with Fire Bellied Toads, I love mine so much but I've had so many questions and concerns that sometimes keep me up at night.

1. What is that smell?

When ever I move the substrate to clean or move around the items in the tank to my liking, I get this disgusting stench of what is a mix of rotting wood and water, is this okay?
    (For more information, I use Sphagnum Moss with Zoo med Coco fiber and Zoo med Repti Bark) My theory is that the pooling of water behind the background is the reason for the stench, I've been learning to not mist every other hour and mist after I wake up, and before bed.

2. Home, Or home away from home?

Currently, I have a tropical themed set up with live Petco Bought Tropical plants, I have a log hide, fake hanging plants, soaking/water dish and a few pieces of loose bark, all store bought. I've seen tons of videos of the half land, half water set-up, I'm super nervous and only want the best for my toads health, regardless of the many youtubers with those same setups (know it alls duh! haha) say my setup is fine as long as I keep that water dish large enough to soak in, and keep it fresh of course.. The frogs hang out more around the hide and bark during the day, i've only usually seen them in the dish at night, where they preform a lovely song. What is scarier is even the petstore owners that i've talked to say that either setup is fine, as long as its humid and there is a water part to the tank; be it dish, or body of water.

3. Who is Who?

I've heard that both sexes of these wet dudes 'chirp'? I'm not entirely sure, I've heard that only the males chirp or only the females chirp (Wwwwhhaat?) and of course, they both chirp.
    They both chirp at night, doing their.. thing in the water dish. (They do it often, its weird.) I will submit pictures but from what I've read that won't help unless its breeding season.

4. Coexist, or noexist?

I currently have a female Brown Anole who is very, very friendly towards my toads and usually hangs out under and around the fake leaves unless she drinks droplets or sees a cricket, we named her Rita, after my girlfriends mother. She has adjusted very well and has been eating and drinking, even figuring out our feeding times.

We saved a large greenhouse frog (Pretty common in florida, but even the largest are the smallest compared to most frog species.), We don't have a name for him/her yet since we're not sure if its a male or female just because they croak. He has adjusted somewhat well with establishing his nocturnal schedual, only coming out from under the cracks near the hide at night. He has been eating and drinking very well.

The frogs don't seem interested in them at ALL, zero, nadda. They seem more interested in being closer to each other than interacting with any other of the inhabitants.

5. How often should I feed?

As of right now, I've been feeding them every other day with Small to Medium sized crickets, any improvements or tips or "Hey you're an idiot you're supposed to feed them _____ ___ ___" Would be really appreciated.
    Before I forget! Are mealworms or super worms bad for them?

6. The chirpening.

IS it normal for my frogs to be so active during the night, chirping and what looks like doing the nasty?

7. Misting.

I currently mist when the gauge goes below 60% on humidity, is this bad? I try not to over mist as it has caused a water buildup twice.. the smell I theorize it to make is not pleasant.

8. Final.

I know this might be a huge mess for anyone out there who really knows their stuff. I have a store brought book and these are the questions said book did not answer. So please, be easy?

Picture time!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: Fire Bellied Toads, am I doing it right or wrong?

Moderator, I have made a copy of this thread in the correct spot, feel free to delete.
    If computers have no doors or fences, who needs Windows and Gates?

Thread Information